Women's swimming wins Big Ten title

Team edges Wisconsin to take first ever conference championship

Last year, the IU women's swimming and diving team came within one event of winning the conference championship.\nSaturday night, the team wrapped up a title before the last event was even held. The team won the 2003 Big Ten Women's Swimming and Diving Championship 595-561.\nThe Hoosiers led by 48 points over Wisconsin going into the last event, the 400-yard freestyle relay. Although the Badgers pulled out the win in that event, the IU lead was too great to overcome. The Hoosiers came in sixth, giving them the 34 point title win.\nGoing into Saturday, the fourth and final day of competition, the Hoosiers led by 17 points, 400-383 over Wisconsin.\nJunior Sarah Fiden and senior Jenny Bechem opened the scoring for IU in the 1650-yard freestyle, with third and sixth place finishes respectively.\nJunior Meghan Medendorp added a fifth place finish in the finals of the 100-yard freestyle and junior Brooke Taflinger took sixth in the 200-yard breaststroke. \nIU scored 44 points in the A-finals of the 200-yard butterfly, with three Hoosiers placing. Freshman Lauren Lubus took second, senior Kristy Martin took fifth and Bechem took sixth.\nThree Hoosiers scored in the penultimate event of the night, platform diving. Senior Sara Hildebrand won the event with a 506.10 and teammates junior Cassandra Cardinell and senior Lori Matthys took third and fifth respectively. \nThat gave IU an insurmountable lead heading into the final relay.\nSee Monday's IDS for full coverage.