Senior's play is 'inspiration'

In one word, the only way to describe what senior Karie Schlukebir did for the Hoosiers this past weekend is "amazing." Since Schlukebir is currently battling cancer, she was forced to serve underhand against Marquette Golden Eagles because her arm felt too weak to serve overhand. \nBut that didn't stop her from helping and encouraging the team.\nAfter missing the last two matches due to her cancer re-emerging, Schlukebir's three set victory (6-2, 4-6, 6-2) over Marquette junior Genevieve Charron clinched IU's opening match 4-3 on Saturday.\n"Even though she had to serve underhand, she did a great job and that was the deciding match (v. Marquette)," coach Lin Loring said. "It was just a real inspiration lift for everyone on the team."\nIt was different not having one of the big parts of her game, Schlukebir said.\n"I had never done it (served underhand) before," Schlukebir said. "It was awkward because my serve is one of my weapons, so I really had to rely on my ground strokes."\nThe encouragement from Schlukebir, along with the team victory over Marquette, seemed to carry over to the rest of the players. The Hoosiers won both of their Sunday matches.\nFirst, IU defeated in-state rival Ball State 5-2, who was 5-0 on the season and coming off a victory against the University of Illinois-Chicago on Friday. It was nothing but good news against the Cardinals.\nWith her arm feeling a little better and armed with her overhand serve, Schlukebir continued her incredible comeback with an easy win, 6-1, 6-0 over Ball State junior Susan Kelly. Senior J.J. Levin, who had been sidelined with a shoulder injury for nearly a year, won her match against BSU senior Alyce Zollman in straight sets, 6-4, 6-1. Like Schlukebir, Levin was forced to serve underhand in her victory against Zollman.\n"I was just working on my consistency because I hadn't played more than an hour in over a year," Levin said. \nAlso, freshman Sarah Batty and sophomore Dominika Walterova teamed up to defeat Batty's older sister from Ball State (sophomore Jenny Batty) and sophomore Leisa Brooks 8-2 in No. 1 doubles. \nThe Hoosiers easily defeated Indiana State 7-0 in the nightcap on Sunday. More importantly, IU has two senior players back that have been sorely missed. Fortunately, Schlukebir said she is optimistic about her playing status for the rest of the season. \n"Hopefully, I'll be back to regular form again," Schlukebir said. "I'll be in the training room a lot getting back the muscle that I've lost"