on the SIDELINES

Sorenstam accepts invite to play Colonial

FORT WORTH, Texas -- Annika Sorenstam wondered how she would stack up against stronger players on tougher courses under the most suffocating scrutiny.\nSo she's going to play against men.\nThe world's best female golfer accepted an invitation Wednesday to play in the Colonial in May, which would make her the first woman in 58 years to compete on the PGA Tour.\n"For all the well-wishers who want to know why I would accept such a challenge, the answer is simple: I am curious to see if I can compete in a PGA Tour event," Sorenstam said.\nNo one has been able to touch her on the LPGA Tour lately.\nShe won 13 times around the world last year, shattered the tour's scoring record and finished out of the top 10 only three times. The year before, she became the first woman to shoot 59 and earn more than $2 million in one season.\n"I just think she wants to find out how good she really is, and if the gap between women's golf and men's golf is that great -- or not great at all," Tiger Woods said.\nOther players are equally interested in how she will fare against the best in golf at an event steeped in tradition and made famous by Ben Hogan.\n"Annika's accomplishments show that she is certainly deserving," Tournament chairman Dee Finley said.\nHe said no Colonial members voiced objections to Sorenstam's participation in the event.\n"I don't see how anybody could say having the finest woman golfer would have a negative impact on the club," he said.\nSorenstam picked the perfect course -- one that does not require as much power off the tee. Colonial is 7,080 yards (par 70) and puts a premium on accuracy, Sorenstam's forte.\nShe averages 265 yards off the tee, which would rank close to 200th in driving distance on the PGA Tour. She might have to hit long irons or a 7-wood into some of the greens to pins tucked behind deep bunkers.