Hoosiers put on strong display

Team takes on top athletes in Canon IV Classic tournament

Severe winter weather could not keep the No. 24 men's track and field team off the roads this weekend. They traveled to Plainfield, Ind., for the Canon IV Classic to compete against athletes from all over the country. \nSchools from Florida, Colorado, Tennessee and Michigan were represented as well as several elite high school athletes to provide solid competition for the meet in most events. Team scores were not kept for the meet.\nThe team was led with several winning performances. Sophomore All-American Aarik Wilson remained unbeaten in the triple jump and long jump, posting strong marks in both events. He set a new personal record in the long jump and met the NCAA provisional standard for the event.\n"I was down a little bit, so I really needed this meet," Wilson said. "When we come to meets like this and have people place high, it gives us confidence and helps us rally around each other."\nSenior Matt Harris set a season personal record in the hurdles, and junior Nate Gooden smashed his personal record in the 3000m. Also turning in solid performances were junior long and triple jumper Chris Rosenthal, sophomore high jumper Noah Shelton and sophomore hurdler Kyle Turner. Junior Mike Minton led the throwers with a victory in the shot put.\n"It's nice to win, but I wish I would have thrown a little farther," Minton said. "I know there's a lot left I have to work on, and I can still throw a lot farther for Big Tens. The throws are just going to get farther from here." \nAs a whole, coach Marshall Goss said he was pleased with his team's performance. The team overcame obstacles with the weather and track conditions and landed some impressive marks. The throwers in particular had problems with their throwing pit.\nSome of the athletes said that they felt flat, which threw off their performance. Goss said that this may have been because the athletes are still training hard and are fighting injuries and sickness. Also the weather may have led to the dismal feel. \n"If you can do what we did with being flat then you're in all right," Goss said. "Big Tens are coming up, and if they can get there by that time, then we're looking good"