Hoosiers host weekend matches

The IU women's tennis team (5-6, 0-2 Big Ten), that is currently on a four-game losing streak, gets somewhat of a break in its brutal schedule this weekend when they host the No. 75 DePaul Blue Demons and intra-state rival Butler. All six of IU's losses this season have been to teams ranked in the top 35 of the Intercollegiate Tennis Association poll (including a 7-0 loss to now No. 1 Duke). \nFreshman Sarah Batty, who plays No. 2 singles and No. 2 doubles this season, said the two non-conference matches Saturday are a big opportunity for IU.\n"The two matches this weekend are still really important to us, as every match is," Batty said. "We have played some high ranked teams the last few matches so it has been hard … but we can bounce back."\nIU first takes on the Blue Demons (9-6) at 9:30 a.m. in the first ever meeting between the two schools. DePaul is currently on a two-game winning streak, including an impressive win against then No. 75 Memphis. Senior Karie Schlukebir, who is playing No. 5 singles and makes up half of a nationally ranked doubles team with junior Linda Tran, said DePaul will be the biggest obstacle this weekend.\n"DePaul is the better team of the two," Schlukebir said. "This year they are greatly improved, and it should be a tough match."\nThe match with the unranked Bulldogs (4-5) begins at 2:30 p.m. Saturday. IU has downed the Bulldogs in Bloomington the last two seasons in the only two matches between the intra-state rivals, including last season's 6-1 victory. Butler enters the contest after winning its last match rather easily against Toledo, 6-1. Freshman Sophie Rychlik, who has recently been battling injuries, said the two matches at home this weekend will be easier on the Hoosiers. \n"It's nice being home (because) you get to sleep in your own bed and all that," Rychlik said. "Hopefully we get some audience, and that's always good to play with extra support. At home we also know our surface and don't have to worry about adjusting our game after that."\nThe Butler and DePaul matches are part of a six-game streak against non-conference teams, including last week's loss to No. 11 Tennessee. In fact, the Hoosiers don't return to Big Ten play until March 28 at Penn State. Tran said non-conference matches are not a distraction to Big Ten play. \n"Every match is a good match for us, winning or losing, because you can always learn from a match, so this weekend shouldn't be any different," Tran said. "If anything, I think the team is excited for the matches this weekend because we know we are the better team and if we are able to play to the level that we are capable of we will win"