Forecast looks 'Stormy' for Big Ten

Senior Stormy Hanson will leave IU as one of the most productive softball players in Hoosier history. \nA Las Vegas product, Hanson will likely compete for All-Big Ten honors this spring. As a junior, Hanson led the Hoosiers in nine offensive categories while splitting time at third base and catcher. But this season Hanson will make a permanent home behind the plate.\n"I'm glad that this season I can just focus on one position," Hanson said. "With catching, you have to have leadership and the ability to guide the team, and I feel I am capable of doing just that." \nAs one of only two seniors on this year's squad, Hanson is well aware of the leadership she must provide her younger inexperienced teammates.\n"Hopefully I can provide my teammates with confidence in their abilities as players,'' Hanson said. "And by playing catcher I must be the leader on the field."\nTeammate and junior Abby Stark, said Hanson leads the team by encouraging players to perform better.\n"She is the player on the field that I look to when things get tough," Stark said. "She sets an example through her play on the field.''\nLast season, Hanson produced one of the better offensive seasons in IU history as she led the Hoosiers in batting average (.355), runs (27), slugging percentage (.412), and hits (49). She smashed seven home-runs and 11 doubles, both tied for the team lead. \nIn a game against eventual NCAA tournament participant Boston University on March 9 last year, Hanson had a career high four hits, including two doubles in a 5-4 victory.\nBorn in Grand Junction, Colo., Hanson is majoring in K-12 Physical Education and will be graduating from IU in the spring. She will become the first member of her family to have earned a degree.\n"I am extremely grateful for the opportunities I have had," Hanson said. "I am very fortunate that my mom has supported me every single day."\nIn their limited time spent together, first year coach Sara Hayes said Hanson brings a lot of intangibles to the club.\n"Stormy is one of the most dynamic, passionate and determined student-athletes I have ever had the pleasure to work with," Hayes said. "The leadership she provides us is like having an assistant coach on the field"