Desire motivates track star

Senior sprinter Danielle Carruthers has assembled an impressive resume in her four years of running for the IU track team. \nDuring last year's outdoor Big Ten Championships, Carruthers won the 100m hurdle title with a time of 12.68, making her the owner of the fastest time in the world. Carruthers was the runner-up at the NCAA Indoor Championships in the 60-meter hurdles. She won the 60-meter dash at the Big Ten Championship meet and in the process set an IU and meet record. \nSo far this season, Carruthers hasn't shown signs of slowing down. \n"She's running just fine," said coach Randy Heisler, pointing out that she currently has the second fastest collegiate hurdling time in the United States. "But to her that's not fast enough." \nCarruthers said she isn't satisfied with her performances this year.\n"I haven't been running bad, but I haven't been running well," she said. \nHeisler said he admires Carruthers' "desire to always be better." He mentioned last year's outdoor Big Ten Championships, in which Carruthers proved she was the world's fastest hurdler at that time. Carruthers would not allow herself to enjoy the accomplishment, Heisler said.\n"She was trying to figure out ways to get faster," he said. \nHeisler emphasized that Carruthers' refusal to settle on even her best performances makes her an extraordinary competitor. \n"She's her worst critic," he said. "That's what makes her good and causes her to have anxiety when it comes to competition."\nSprint coach Ed Beathea said he appreciates Carruthers' desire to be critical of her own progress.\n"(Coaching her) is rewarding in a lot of ways because she's very self-motivated," he said. \nCarruthers' self-criticism helps her to keep her world-ranked performances in perspective, he said.\nCarruthers plans to continue her track career after graduating, she said. \nShe got a taste of a professional running career last summer when she was included in the Track World Cup as a member of the relay pool for the 4 x 100m relay. Carruthers said in the future she hopes to compete in the Olympics.\nUntil then Carruthers will continue to leave her mark on IU track. Carruthers said she is glad that she, along with fellow senior Rachelle Boone, who is undefeated this season in the 60-meter dash, have established a strong reputation for IU sprinters. \nThis season is special for Carruthers because it is her senior season, she said.\n"It's a season of trying to find out what I can do," she said. \nCarruthers and the women's track team will host the Hoosier Hills meet this Saturday in the Gladstein Fieldhouse.