Yeagley to retire

Hall of Fame coach to end IU career after 2003 soccer season

Forty years, 11 trips to the college cup championship, five national titles and one more year to go.\nMen's soccer coach Jerry Yeagley has decided to call it quits after the upcoming 2003 season. Yeagley has amassed an impressive 527-98-40 overall record and has never had a losing season in 30 years of NCAA play. \n"It's nothing that just popped up overnight," Yeagley said in an interview with the Soccer Times Web site. "There are no extenuating circumstances. My health is good. We've got a great young team. My passion is as great as it's ever been. I've got a dream job that I love going to every day, but next year will be 41 years."\nWith just 17 more wins, coach Yeagley would overtake former San Francisco coach Stephen Negoesco as the all-time winningest collegiate soccer coach. \nHowever, former players Ryan Mack and Pat Noonan weren't optimistic that IU could amass 17 wins in only one season, yet Noonan sees this as a testament to Yeagley's integrity.\n"He could stay two more seasons, and easily become the winningest coach ever, but he wanted to stay with his family," Noonan said.\nPreparing his team for college play is not Yeagley's only virtue as a soccer coach. Yeagley's coaching prowess has also prepared his players for competition in professional soccer leagues.\n"He's one of the best soccer coaches in the United States," Mack said. "Playing under him gives you a view of what top soccer coaches want, so I know exactly what will be expected of me in the major leagues." \nIU has sent a total of 18 players to Major League Soccer since its inception in 1995. Former Hoosiers Mack, Noonan and John Swann were all drafted to the MLS after last season.\nAccording to former players, Yeagley's leadership goes above and beyond the soccer field.\n"Without him, I wouldn't be the person I am, either on the field or off the field. I wouldn't be where I am without his guidance," Noonan said.\nYeagley had unprecedented success in the Big Ten along with IU's postseason accolades. The Hoosiers amassed nine Big Ten championships, one shared and eight outright out of 12 tries and is the winningest active coach in the NCAA. Yeagley has also been inducted Pennsylvania Athletic Hall of Fame and the United States Soccer Federation Hall of Fame in 1988 and 1989. \nSoccertimes.com reported that Yeagley recommended assistant coach Mike Freitag to be elevated to head coach after his departure. Freitag brings 11 seasons of assistant coach experience under Yeagley. Freitag also played under Yeagley from 1976-79 and competed professionally for the San Diego Sockers of the North American Soccer League and the Denver Avalanche of the Major Indoor Soccer League. \nDespite continued success within the last few seasons, Yeagley's decision to leave was taken with little shock from players.\n"I've heard rumors throughout my career about his intent to leave. After he went 22-0 in 1997, some people thought he would go, but he carried through," Mack said. "I think it's a good decision, he's proved that he's one of the greatest and he's shown his ability as a coach."\nIU athletic officials reported Yeagley was out of town Sunday and could not be reached for comment.