Tough final meet for seniors

After a 198-102 beating of No. 17 rival Purdue, coach Dorsey Tierney's top ranked women's swimming team heads into the final few weeks before the 2003 Big Ten Conference Championship. Leading the Hoosiers down the stretch is a solid group of seniors that includes Megan Geers, Jenny Bechem and Tina Gretlund.\nCoach Tierney said she is proud and excited for her seniors, but expectations remain high heading into the final couple of weeks of the season.\n"The seniors have done a great job as team leaders," Tierney said.\nAn Academic All-Big Ten selection, Geers is the IU record holder in the 100-yard breaststroke and is a member of school-record holding teams in the 200- and 400-medley relays and has added valuable experience to the No. 14 Hoosiers.\n"When I reflect on my personal career it is difficult for me to think of one swim that would be my greatest personal accomplishment," Geers said. "I would have to say that being part of this swim team for the past four years would be the biggest accomplishment. It has been amazing to watch this team develop and become what it is today."\nBechem further adds to the depth and leadership of Tierney's squad. An Academic All-Big Ten selection as a sophomore and again as a junior, this Naperville, Ill. product has recorded a provisional NCAA qualifying time in the 200-yard butterfly, the 500-yard freestyle and the 1,650 free during this, her senior season. Bechem's extensive competitive experience will lead the Hoosiers in a fight against the tough Spartan fly swimmers.\n"My favorite event is definitely the 50 free, but I was not blessed with the muscles that allow people to sprint," Bechem said. "I settle with the 200 fly and the mile because I like the feeling of getting out of the pool exhausted and knowing that the pain I just put myself through is second to none. I also like these events because not everyone has the endurance to do them, especially when I do them on the same day. The pain reminds me that I'm tough."\nRounding out the trio of tough seniors, Gretlund is one of the most talented and productive performers in collegiate swimming. This Kastrup, Denmark native will likely challenge for a Big Ten title in multiple events. Gretlund is an Academic All-Big Ten honoree and is the school record holder in both the 200-yard butterfly and 200-yard individual medley. She has also recorded top 10 all-time marks at IU in the 400-yard IM, 100-yard butterfly and 200-yard backstroke, while also holding a school record as a member of the 800-yard freestyle relay.\n"I think our success has come from focusing on one meet at a time," Tierney said of her group of eight seniors. "It is important to focus on the here-and-now. They have done a good job of that."\nThis weekend's meet, against Big Ten foes Penn State and Michigan State, will be the last regular season conference competition for the seven IU seniors, which in addition to Bechem, Geers and Gretlund include Maggie Helmers, Kristy Martin, Colleen McCracken and Anne Williams.