Team seeks first road conference win at MSU

Hoosiers will have to rely on defense and rebounding to pull out tough road win

The IU women's basketball team duels with Michigan State at 7 p.m. tonight in East Lansing, Mich., at the Breslin Center. The Hoosiers (9-4, 2-1 Big Ten) have won four of their last five games with their lone loss coming against Illinois in Champaign. \n"We have to show consistency," IU coach Kathi Bennett said. "It's tough playing on the road in the Big Ten this year. The parity is the best it's probably ever been. Their average attendance is between 6,000 to 7,000 fans, so we are going to have to battle that crowd."\nA major reason why IU has had success over its last five contests and this season is their defense and rebounding. The Hoosiers rank second in the Big Ten in scoring defense and first in the conference in rebounds per game, even though they have been narrowly out-rebounded in the last five games. \n"Coaches have stressed rebounding from day one," senior guard Kristen Bodine said. "Defensive rebounding is finishing off a defensive stand and there's pride in that."\nFreshman guard Cyndi Valentin, who is the third highest scorer on the team, said she agrees with Bodine.\n"Rebounding is a major part," Valentin said. "It helps the post players. Rebounding is not completely on all of their shoulders. It helps take the pressure off of our low post players."\nFreshman center Angela Hawkins has been fundamental to IU's rebounding. The 6-3 center is averaging 9.3 rebounds per contest and ranks near the top of the Big Ten in that category. \nIU also ranks eighth in the NCAA in field goal percent defense and first in the Big Ten in that category. But Michigan State (8-6, 1-2 Big Ten) is a superior rebounding team, out-rebounding their opponents by over 11 boards per contest.\nThe Hoosiers have won four straight games in the series. Last year, IU edged the Spartans 50-47 at the Breslin Center on Dec. 30. They also defeated Michigan State at home by 12 points. Despite IU's recent dominance over Michigan State, the Spartans lead the all-time series 26-21. \nMeanwhile, Michigan State has won five of its last seven contests, with both losses coming on the road. The Spartans upset then No. 7 ranked Purdue 67-62 on Jan. 6. IU lost to the Boilermakers by two points on Dec. 14. Bennett said IU is going to have to have high energy and play together as well as for each other.\nIU is led by sophomore guard/forward Jenny DeMuth. She has cracked the double-figure scoring mark in nine games this year, most recently Sunday in a comeback win over No. 23 Ohio State when she poured in 21 points. In addition, senior forward Lisa Eckart will look to be a factor in IU's second conference road game of the season. Eckart notched 12 points and added six boards in the Hoosier victory against Ohio State.\nMichigan State counters with two freshmen and a senior. Freshman guard Lindsay Bowen and freshman center Liz Shimek anchor the backcourt and the frontcourt, while senior forward Syreeta Bromfield is the team's leading scorer with 15.3 points per game. \n"They are a very complete team," Bennett said. "Bowen is an excellent three-point shooter and she can put the ball on the floor and drive to the basket. Inside they have Shimek, who has a nice low post presence. Their inside-out game is solid."\nAnother positive for IU has been the play of Valentin. She is averaging over 10 points per game and would become just the 15th player in school history to average a double-figure scoring mark in her freshman year. \nValentin was modest about her scoring feats and performances this year.\n"When anyone scores it's a lift," Valentin said. "Anyone can score, but I try to get open. I try to get my feet set and take good shots or get it to the open man."\nAnother guard, Bodin, said she has developed into a leader at the guard spot and needs to use that to her advantage.\n"I have to lead. As a senior I have to lead, lead by example," Bodine said. "I distribute the ball to shooters, handle the ball and prevent turnovers. I think of myself as a leader."\nBennett said Michigan State's low post players versus IU's low post players would be critical in this game. \nBennett said Bromfield often gets second chance points and that those will be crucial in this contest.\n"It might come down to second chance points," Bennett said. "Who gets the most opportunities at second chance points and who makes the most second chance points"