on the SIDELINES

Foyt is fifth IRL team to sign with Toyota World record set in 400 freestyle

Foyt is fifth IRL team to sign with Toyota\nINDIANAPOLIS -- Toyota will supply racing engines to A.J. Foyt Enterprises, the fifth team to sign with the engine manufacturer since it joined the IRL at the end of last season.\nA.J. Foyt IV, the winner of the inaugural Infiniti Pro Series championship last year, will be a rookie IRL driver for his grandfather's team in 2003. Other teams using Toyota engines include Kelley Racing, Team Penske, Chip Ganassi Racing and Mo Nunn Racing.\n"They have done a lot of testing on their engine with impressive results," the elder Foyt said Monday. "Bottom line is that we're trying to put together the best program possible for my grandson, and we're off to a good start."\nBoth Toyota and Honda switched to the IRL this year, leaving Ford-Cosworth the only engine supplier for the rival CART series. The IRL's IndyCar season begins with the Toyota Indy 300 on March 2 at Homestead-Miami Speedway\nWorld record set in 400 freestyle\nBERLIN -- Lindsay Benko of Elkhart, Ind., set a world record in the 400-meter freestyle at the short course World Cup.\nBenko was timed in 3 minutes, 59.53 seconds, easily breaking the mark of 4:00.03 set by Costa Rica's Claudia Poll in 1997.\n"Crazy, an unbelievable record," Benko said Sunday.\nBenko, slightly off the record until the final two laps, raced alone for a half lap.\n"It was unbelievable how far she was ahead," said Germany's Hannah Stockbauer, who finished second, four seconds back.\nBenko barely missed winning the overall title and the $50,000 first prize.\nBritain's Alison Sheppard, who won the 50 freestyle, finished with 1,014, one point ahead of Benko. Points were based on wins and times.\nGermany's Thomas Rupprath won three events, including a world record in the 100 medley Saturday, to clinch the men's overall title and $50,000.\nAustralian star Ian Thorpe beat fellow triple Olympic champion Pieter van den Hoogenband in the 200 freestyle, finishing in 1:41.69. Also, China's Yu Yang, won the 200 butterfly in 2:04.90.\nThe short course World Cup season will be expanded from seven to nine events. Swimming's world governing body also said the final World Cup will be held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, instead of Berlin, as in recent years.\nThe new venues will include Daejon, South Korea, along with Durban, South Africa, and Mexico City. The meets in Paris and Shanghai, China, are expected to be dropped from the schedule.