New art gallery to open

The love and drive of the arts bring inspiration to Bloomington.\nBloomington's newest gallery, The Gallery North, plans to inform and educate the community about the many creative outlets of a work of art. While the gallery has been in operation since December 2002, the grand opening of the gallery is from 5:30 to 10 p.m on Feb. 7. \nA silent auction will be held with a portion of the proceeds going to the Hoosier Hills Food Bank. Well-known Nashville artist Charlene Marsh will be the guest artist featured in the Spectrum Gallery.\nThe gallery was started at the end of September 2002 by gallery president Jackie White and Paula Bates. They wanted to offer a venue for emerging as well as well-established artists, Bates said. The club of 38 members spans from young student members to a woman in her 80s. \nWhite, a self-taught clay artist, wanted to start her own gallery. However, she hesitated to embark on the endeavor all by herself. She found help in Bates, who is a self-taught painter. Together, they found a location and brought together artists who wanted to display their works. The location of the gallery is what drew members in. \n"Our space is great," Bates said. \nThe Gallery North, 116 W. 6th St., on the north side of the square, is filled with oil, watercolor and acrylic paintings of landscapes and portraits. There are photographs of Paris in the springtime and the French countryside. Along with paintings there are glass, bronze and clay sculptures and pit fire pottery that decorate the walls of the spacious gallery. The gallery showcases the creativity and talent of artists from Monroe and surrounding counties. \nThe organization comprises a mixture of unknown and well-known artists. \n"There is a professional exchange of ideas between the members," White said. "They grow with each other and learn the tricks of the trade." \nThe majority of the artists have other jobs, making their art a creative release. \n"The gallery is more about the community and not the group," said Bloomington artist Scott Sullivan. \nPart of the mission of the gallery is to educate the community about local artists.\nCathy Korinek, Bates and Ellen Star Lyon will be featured artists during February. Chosen by the gallery members, their art will be displayed in the front window.\nThe month of March is National Youth Art Month. The gallery plans to display the creative talents of elementary students from Monroe County and surrounding areas. Several art teachers, who are members of the gallery, will also be featured in the exhibit.\nBusiness has been good for the gallery, Bates said. "It's better then our expectations," she said. \nThe effort of running the gallery is a work in progress for Bates and the organization.\n"(The members) have a lot of energy and are very creative," Bates added.\nFor more information call 339-5729 or visit the Gallery North Web site at www.gallery-north.org.