CNN Web site imitated in hoax

Fake story about basketball players spreads by e-mail

No, Bracey Wright and Jeff Newton have not been suspended from the IU basketball team.\nA hoax Web site meant to be an office joke gave several Hoosier fans quite a scare Tuesday.\nThe link to a fake CNN Web site circulated around campus and indicated the two players had been suspended. The story, along with the Web site, are false.\nAnd it turns out IU was not the only place impacted by the phony CNN Web sites.\nInteroffice humor quickly turned serious Tuesday for workers of Budget Management, LLC, of Albuquerque, New Mexico, as a Web site it hosts confused Internet searchers with fake news stories.\nThe company, which manages the Web site www.spo0fed.com, posted a link to "The CNN.com Fake Generator," which produces authentic-looking copies of CNN.com's World web page that can be personalized by the user.\nThe site produces an exact replica of a CNN Web page, down to ads and working links. \nEmployees at CNN confirmed Tuesday that the network is aware of the phony Web site, but would not expand on the topic.\nThe issue became local when several phony Web pages, including the one about the suspensions, began circulating around IU. \nThe article included a false statement attributed to Interim Athletics Director J. Terry Clapacs.\nWhoever posted the site could face legal action, according to an Indianapolis attorney.\n"Mr. Wright and Mr. Newton could both possibly take libelous action, such as suing," said David Klinestiver, an attorney at Lowe, Gray, Steele and Darko, LLP, in Indianapolis. "Who ever posted it can be sought through the libel act."\nPete Salas Jr., who owns Budget Management, LLC, said the site was never supposed to be for public use.\n"We originally used it for ribbing a friend or an online buddy," Salas said. "But on Sunday, a member of the general public somehow accessed the site and within three days it has spread all over the country."\nHowever, within those three days the company has not received many calls concerning the content of the sites. IU athletics media relations reported few calls regarding Newton and Wright.\nBudget Management, LLC, does not receive the content of each "spoof" written, Salas said. However, if needed, they can track the creator by the IP address through the site, and if necessary, hand over the names of the creators.\nSuch may occur in the case of rappers Jay-Z and 50 Cent. On Sunday, a spoof Web site circulated nationwide stating that both men were killed in a Los Angeles hotel lobby. \nAccording to Salas, both men could sue the creator for libel. \nBut on the other hand, Salas' company is open to legal action of a different type. \nSince the site is a very accurate copy of CNN's actual Web site, the AOL Time Warner station could seek litigation concerning trademark infringement and publicity rights, said Klinestiver, the Indianapolis attorney.\nHowever, no such actions were taken by CNN as of Tuesday.\nAnd Salas said he is not looking to become legally involved. He said the site would be taken down shortly before or upon contact with CNN.\n"I have sent numerous e-mails, and left voicemails, but no one has returned either," Salas said.\nAccording to Klinestiver, the only thing that might insulate Budget Management, LLC, is its disclaimer on its Web site, which states: "This is intended for private use only. This site is not associated with CNN.com nor is it affiliated with CNN or AOL Time Warner. This is merely setup to play jokes on our friends and not to be taken seriously … "\nThose who clicked on the link did not see the disclaimer.\nKlinestiver said the "intended for private use only" clause may not hold up in court.\n"The sites are virtually identical," Klinestiver said. "Because of that, the intent can be determined to be malicious."\nSalas, who works as a tax repair agent, said running the Web site is a side job of his. He has done web hosting for about five years. \nHe said the spoof of CNN's site was abused by the general public.\n"I believe it could be copyright infringement. If it is, we will take it down," Salas said.