Author turns I-69 into piece of fiction

Governor Frank O'Bannon's decision to connect Indianapolis and Evansville with a new $1.7 billion project sparked controversy in Bloomington and spurred many citizens to vow to fight such a route.\nOne Bloomington native, however, is taking his anger out not with picket signs or with petitions, but with the power of the written word. IU alum Sean Connelly decided to write a fictional novel on the fight against the construction of I-69. \n"My entire reason was stopping this highway," Connelly said. "I absolutely love Bloomington and I want to preserve the character of the town. The highway will rob Bloomington of its identity."\nConnelly's book, entitled I-69 Does Not Stop, is the story of Fionn, an activist who's creative challenge to the highway has allowed him to be labeled a "terrorist" and a "murderer." \nConnelly decided to support the cause through fiction rather than fact because of geographic inconvenience. While the debate over I-69 grew, Connelly was stuck in Champaign, Illinois, making it difficult for him to take a journalistic approach in his book. \n"I couldn't participate in the protests, so this was my way of getting involved," Connelly said.\nSo after researching the issue in depth, Connelly decided to try to make a different path and write the story as an allegory, with fictional characters representing different groups in the controversy.\n"I didn't know much about the fight beyond what I had read, that's why I decided to write a novel," Connelly said. "But I think political fiction can have an impact far greater than the issue it deals with."\nConnelly said he hopes the book will comment on not just the issue at hand, but other issues that occur in the future. \n"Hopefully, the book transcends its moment," Connelly said. "It's about fighting against politics that people aren't paying enough attention to."\nAlthough the book is not all about I-69, Connelly said by writing about the power of protest, hopefully readers will still get involved in the issue. \n"It isn't specifically about I-69," Connelly said. "It's about getting involved in protesting for what you believe in. In that way, it is designed to get people involved with I-69."\nEven Connelly's opposition, those in support of the new highway, agree that protest can be an important way for students to voice their opinions. \n"I think it's very important for students to get involved in the process," said senior Terry Record, Students for I-69 foundation committee chairman. "It's important to get up and be counted."\nResponse from the community has been positive thus far. Connelly said he just sent his third order of books to Howard's Bookstore after they promptly sold out of the previous deliveries. \n"That one has been selling quite briskly," said Mike Burns, a clerk for Howard's Bookstore. "We had a total of 18 and we have sold all but four copies."\nDespite O'Bannon's unveiling of I-69's currently planned route on Jan. 9, Connelly said the issue should still be fought against. \n"These kinds of projects can be stopped," Connelly said. "If the whole community bands together, then people will listen."\nYet, Connelly said he has dealt with the announcement and decided to accept the inevitable, despite his own personal objections. \n"I have accepted the premise that the highway will be built," Connelly said. \nI-69 Does Not Stop is printed through Unknown Arts Press and is available at area Bloomingfoods, Howard's Bookstore and Box Car Books.