Webmail users face long delays

IU says spammers are to blame for slowing the speed of University's e-mail system

Many IU students and faculty are experiencing frustration when attempting to access their e-mail messages through the Webmail system.\nThey are enduring several problems that don't seem to be the fault of the user. Entire address books being erased, e-mails not being sent and inability to access Webmail accounts are commonplace. \nBut this may simply be because of the surge in spam that seems to be plaguing e-mail addresses.\n"The problem is not really with Webmail per se, but it's to do with the message storage servers," said Sue Workman, the director of user support for UITS. "The increase in spam messages (which are stored on the Internet Message Access Protocol server) reduce the bandwidth of e-mail servers, and, as a result, e-mail server speeds get slower."\nSpam, unsolicited messages used to promote deals, products, etc., seem to have increased "exponentially" this semester, Workman said.\n"We don't make them available to anyone," she said of student and faculty e-mail addresses. "A lot of times, students post their addresses on Web sites or chat rooms." \nIndeed, "e-mail harvesters" or spam bots, are programs designed to retrieve e-mail addresses from Web pages. Once e-mails are collected they are compiled in a 'spamming database.'\nWebmail was introduced in January 2001 in response to students' and faculty members' requests for a more 'feature-oriented' e-mail service. Previously, users had to access their accounts through Telnet, a text-based protocol that connected to the PINE program, which allowed users to access their e-mail accounts through Kate, Ariel, Lear and Iago. \nDuring the launch of Webmail, University Information Technology Services emphasized that the PINE interface would not be replaced and that Webmail would simply be another option for students to use. \nBut PINE has not been introduced to students during orientation since fall of 2001. Instead, Webmail has been promoted to new students as the interface to use when accessing e-mail accounts. Webmail offered the benefits of letting users access attachments. It made navigation more simple through its interface and made arranging messages into folders a reality.\n"Webmail is our answer to users' requests for a Web-based e-mail service," Workman said. \n"If you look at the UITS user surveys over the last few years, there are a huge number of surveys requesting a more feature-oriented and robust e-mail service," she said.\nThough Webmail has emerged as a popular alternative to the Telnet based e-mail services, it has had its fair share of complaints.\n"If we're going to pay for a service like this then I expect it to work," said sophomore James Herter, who has experienced problems on a number of occasions when trying to access his Webmail account. "It seems to be a problem more than just from time to time."\nEach spring, UITS sends out user surveys to help them determine ways of improving Webmail. Prospective changes then go through all levels of the UITS hierarchy before any definite plans for changes are made. \n"Changes can start happening immediately," Workman said. "It just depends on the resources that are available."\nDespite the bad reputation Webmail has received in recent months, it does have its supporters.\n"I like it; I use it," said freshman John Glennon. "Occasionally it's slow, but it works fine for me."\nThe UITS Support Center is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, and is located in room M084 of the IMU. Students can call the Support Center 24 hours-a-day, seven days-a-week help line at 855-6789.\nUsers who are concerned about receiving spam can go to the UITS Web site at kb.indiana.edu/data/adbh.html.