Freshman quickly becoming a leader

When you look at the Hoosier wrestling roster and see that Greg Schaefer is the only eligible senior, you realize that IU wrestling may be heading for the dreaded "rebuilding year," but the Hoosiers are not worried.\n"We have a few guys with really good experience," junior Coyte Cooper said. \nWhile it is true that the Hoosiers are leaning on a few upperclassmen like Cooper and Schaefer, it is a talented group of underclassmen led by freshman Joe Dubuque that shows the most promise.\nDubuque's breakthrough performance came during a tough weekend for IU. On a road trip to New Jersey to face Rider University and Rutgers University, the Hoosiers came home with a 0-2 record. Dubuque was one of the few bright spots for IU, as he won both of his matches including a pin at Rider.\n"Joey's an excellent wrestler, and his intensity carried him through a lot of situations," coach Duane Goldman said of Dubuque after the New Jersey trip.\nDubuque continued his winning ways the next week when the Hoosiers competed in the Northern Iowa Open. Dubuque performed well until an injury forced him to forfeit the third place bout and settle for fourth place. While there has been no official statement on the extent of the injury, Dubuque has been practicing this week and could be ready for IU's next meet against Missouri on Dec. 21. \nSince arriving at IU, Dubuque has had to adjust to the more physical Midwest style of wrestling compared to the finesse and technique game that is more common on the East Coast. But Dubuque, a two-time New Jersey state high school champion, has shown quick progress, compiling a 6-2 record in the 125-pound weight class. Despite a strong start, Dubuque is not content and has high goals for himself and the team. He remains confident that the team will compete despite a lack of experience. \n"We want to compete, and we're going to," Dubuque said. "We want to win some dual meets, gain some respect, and become a force to be reckoned with"