Department of kinesiology first to offer degree

HPER establishes first masters degree program in ergonomics

IU's School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation has established the first ergonomics masters degree program in the nation. The department of kineseology adopted this program to offer expertise in a profession that is increasing in importance.\nAccording to the International Ergonomics Association Web site, ergonomics is a "systems-oriented discipline which now extends across all aspects of human activity."\n"Basically the goal is to adjust the workplace to better match the task to the worker," said John Shea, chair of the kinesiology department in the HPER. \nThough it may sound vague, a degree in ergonomics can demand an impressive salary- beginning from $45,000 to $65,000 per year. \n"Insurance companies, worker unions and government agencies all employ ergonomics professionals," Shea said. "It's a growing field so jobs are plentiful at this time, but I also think they're going to increase because it's something that's gaining importance."\nErgonomics has traditionally been offered in engineering schools, and the profession has gained popularity in recent decades. But the lack of an engineering school at IU meant that there was no such program. The kinesiology department seemed to be the department most suited to offering the major since it dealt with worker productivity on a cognitive level.\n"We deal with things that other departments in the HPER don't, such as performance psychology, work physiology and biomechanics," Shea said. "We're just uniquely suited to offer this degree."\nThe program consists of a non-thesis masters degree of coursework, which is completed over a period of nine months (including the summer), plus an internship.\nThe profession certainly seems to have hit home with many students, particularly those that study at the HPER.\n"I'd consider doing it. If anything it'd give me a new perspective on things," said freshman Pamella Martins, who is a sports marketing major. "I'm glad that they're offering this type of degree because it helps me keep my options open."\nMoreover, students are beginning to understand the significance of ergonomics.\n"There's always the chance that you could increase your output," said Tom Hughes, a freshman majoring in sports management. "Your competitor could be doing it and increasing productivity while you're just looking for ways to cut costs or save money, when what you should be doing is looking for ways of increasing output."\nErgonomics is treated as a form of "preventative medicine," Shea said.\n"If you can prevent an injury it's more effective than treating an injury," Shea said. "If you look at a worker claiming compensation for a lower back injury, for example, costs for such a thing could come up to $35,000, which can now be avoided"