Walking in her father's footsteps

Coach takes lesson in leadership from parent

Coach Kathi Bennett remembers a Christmas when her father, coach Dick Bennett, came home from a horrifying game. The veins sticking out of her father's head made her think he was going to die. Not only had his team had just lost a game, but he almost got into a fight in the stands. People had been screaming at him, "Coach Bennett, you're a bum!" and "Why'd they bring you in here for?" Bennett saw the highs and lows of coaching growing up with a father as a coach and at first didn't think it was worth it.\n"As you mature you see the rewards," Bennett said. "I think I saw my dad and the passion he had for the game. His knowledge and how hard he worked, what he accomplished -- it's incredible."\nWhat Bennett once saw in her father, her own players are noticing in her.\n"She brings so much knowledge and wisdom to the game," senior Jill Hartman said. "She loves it so much. She's so passionate about basketball that you just can't help but follow her."\nSenior Kristen Bodine said before playing for Bennett, she had never wanted to be a coach, but Bennett showed her how you can behave and treat people. It gave Bodine an entirely new perspective on coaching. Under Bennett, Bodine has grown as a basketball player and as a person.\nBoth the highs and lows of coaching have been prevalent in Bennett's years as a women's basketball coach. She coached for Teiyko Marycrest, Wisconsin-Oshkosh and Evansville before coming to IU in 2000. \nPerhaps having an even bigger effect on Bennett's life than her father is the near-fatal accident that occurred in February of last season. The accident forced Bennett to look at life in a different light, and she realized that all that's required of her is her best.\n"I'm enjoying teaching and what I do more," Bennett said. "The reason why I coach is the relationships with my players. It's everlasting and it's what motivates you to continue."\nBennett said it was a humbling experience and felt like while she sat in the hospital, her team was successful without her. There was a part of her that needed to be with the team.\n"I needed them more than they needed me," Bennett said. "That was the reason why I wanted to get back."\nShe did make it back and nine months later said her health is perfect and couldn't be better. \nEven Purdue's coach, Kristy Curry, has noticed Bennett's impact on the team and said Bennett has done a great job with such a great program. Curry said she knows Bennett's Hoosiers will be a tough game this season.\nBennett's accident is over, she's recovered, and it's time to think about the season. Attendance may not be high at Assembly Hall for women's games, but that's far from close to anything that's on her mind. \n"With nine new players, I can't be worrying about that stuff," Bennett said. "We're doing more and more things to try and help with attendance. I think you're going to see more fans. This will be an exciting group to watch play."\nBennett's father had a great impact on her life as a basketball coach. It's an impact he still makes on her life today. They still have a relationship and talk basketball on the phone at least a few times a week. \n"I'd be crazy not to ask him for advice," Bennett said. "There's nobody better"