Team impresses against constellations of Stars

When a well-devised movie script goes according to plan, an Oscar-caliber film is usually the result. The same applies to basketball. The women's basketball team did not stray from the script Friday night when they defeated the Reebok Lady All-Stars 93-50 in Assembly Hall.\nThe Hoosiers tallied five players in double-figures, while IU freshman guard Cyndi Valentin led all scorers with 16 points. Every Hoosier player scored except freshman Kali Kullberg, who added seven assists.\nThe Hoosiers concluded their preseason by winning both of their exhibition games, as they defeated Premier Sports last Friday.\n"I think we made some improvements from our last game," coach Kathi Bennett said. "I think that is going to be key for this year, and this team is to keep improving."\nThe game marked the return of former Hoosier standouts Heather Cassady and Jill Chapman. One year ago, the duo led IU to its first Big Ten Conference Tournament Championship en route to its first NCAA Tournament berth since 1995. \nBesides Cassady and Chapman, former IU player Rachelle Bostic also played. She recorded over 1,000 points in her IU career while playing in the early 1980s. \nBesides three former Hoosiers, a late addition was Stephanie-White McCarty, a Kodak All-American while at Purdue in 1999.\nThe quartet combined to score 29 points, with Chapman leading the way with 10 points.\nWith all that star potential, the Hoosiers limited the Reebok Stars to 24 points in the first half.\nThe Reebok Stars connected on just one three-pointer for the game, compared to IU's 12.\nBennett said the Hoosier offense was successful in the second half because their opponent played zone defense, but she did not discredit her team. \n"We did a good job with spacing and ball-handling," Bennett said. "Our spacing was key. Everybody did their job in relation to spacing, and we were in constant motion on the floor."\nChapman said she was impressed with IU's guard depth.\n"If they're always on with their shooting, it's going to be great," Chapman said. "Tonight with their threes they kept knocking down, they were on. I think they'll do fine if their guards keep playing like they did tonight."\nBennett elaborated on the positives in the game, including IU freshman center Angela Hawkins. Hawkins scored nine points and was active in 12 minutes of action.\nIU led by 23 points at half and stretched the lead to as many as 49 in the second half.\nBennett said defensively there is room for improvement. She said containment has to get better. But IU contained Chapman, as she barely reached double-figures and was limited to five of 12 from the field. Meanwhile, Cassady only scored four points.\nOn the other side of the ball, IU senior Lisa Eckart atoned for her rather lackluster performance last Friday as she connected on four of four three-pointers in the first half and finished with 12 points. Eckart, bothered by a back injury, said she is willing to help the team in whatever capacity she can, despite her ailment. Eckart said she has to deal with it mentally and that is probably the hardest part. \nAll three former IU players were given a nice applause by the crowd when the starting lineups were introduced. \nCassady described what it was like to play and sit on a different bench at Assembly Hall.\n"It was fun. I mean, that's what we took it as coming back here and playing against the girls," Cassady said. "They're like our sisters so it's not like we're out to get them."\nBennett said she was happy to coach against her former players and is optimistic about the challenging upcoming season. IU opens the regular season against Wofford in the Hampton Inn/Fazoli's Classic at 6 p.m. Friday in Assembly Hall. Ball State plays Houston at 8 p.m. The Championship on Saturday is slated for 4 p.m, while the consolation is at 2 p.m.