Michigan State walks over Hoosiers

Spartans defeat IU 56-21 Saturday, take hopes of bowl bid

The Hoosiers lost the Brass Spittoon and any possibility of a post-season bowl game after Michigan State walked all over them Saturday 56-21. The Spartans put up 35 points in the second quarter to put the game out of reach early.\nThe loss drops the Hoosiers to 3-7 overall, and 1-5 in the Big Ten. With only two games remaining, the Hoosiers will not be able to reach the minimum six wins in order to qualify for a bowl game.\nMSU (4-6, 2-4) racked up 232 yards in the second quarter and scored on all five of their possessions to break open a game that was tied 7-7 at the end of the first quarter.\nIU was equally as bad on offense, going three-and-out on three straight possessions. They also had two turnovers in the quarter, one on downs and the other an interception by senior quarterback Gibran Hamdan. The offense gained a total of 19 yards.\n"When we put our defense in half of the field, our opponents are scoring about 78 percent," coach Gerry DiNardo said. "The national average is about 60 percent when you put the opponent between the 40s. I thought that was the start of the downhill slide."\nJunior wide receiver Glenn Johnson said the second quarter was frustrating. He said the team had plays set up for their defense but couldn't execute.\n"Coming into the game we wanted to be able to move the ball on these guys both passing and running," Johnson said. "We started going three and out and that confuses the defense, frustrates the defense. We put them on the short end of the field, and that lead to numerous amount of scores."\nThe Spartans got on the board first when quarterback Damon Dowdell, a sophomore, scrambled for an eight-yard score. IU responded on their next drive by going 85 yards in 14 plays, capped off with a seven-yard run by freshman Chris Taylor.\nAll five of the Spartans' second quarter drives lasted less than three minutes, with two lasting one minute. Dowdell threw two touchdown passes. Freshman running back Jaren Hayes ran for two, and back freshman David Richard scored the other touchdown, giving the Spartans a 42-7 halftime lead.\nThe Hoosiers never recovered from the second quarter. IU did not threaten to close the gap in the second half.\nIU had the opening possession of the second half, but Hamdan was picked off on a ball tipped at the line of scrimmage. MSU was unable to score when senior Antonio Watson blocked a field goal attempt.\nIU failed to move the ball, and Michigan State added two more touchdowns. Dowdell threw touchdown passes to junior Charles Rogers and sophomore Jason Randall to give MSU a 56-7 lead.\n"We didn't make plays," freshman defensive back Buster Larkins said. "They can't coach us to make plays. They can only coach us to put us into position, and they did a great job. We have got to make plays."\nSenior quarterback Tommy Jones replaced Hamdan in the third quarter and led IU on an 80-yard touchdown drive on his first series. Jones hocked up with Johnson for a 30-yard touchdown pass. IU added one more late touchdown on a run by freshman Yamar Washington.\nDiNardo said he was disappointed for the seniors who would never have a chance to play in a bowl game. He said that tough guys would respond and come back hard next week.\nAn emotional senior Kris Dielman said he wished they could have done it for the seniors like him. \n"It's disappointing," Dielman said. "It sucks. It really sucks. I don't know how else to put it."\nDespite the loss, Dielman said the team still has a lot to play for and will come out to play for the remaining games.\n"Respect. We still have two more games left," Dielman said. "We may not be going to a bowl, but beating Penn State and Purdue will be big for the future of this program"