Meet the Big Ten: Indiana

Last season, the IU men's basketball team made an improbable run at the NCAA championship. This year, the Hoosiers aim to do the same.\nBut for a team that lost its best defender and best all-around force, the path to its second consecutive title game is not going to be easy. Especially when everyone but themselves is expecting the Hoosiers to flop.\n"That's good," said senior forward Jeff Newton, after finding IU was picked to finish tied for second in the Big Ten. "I wasn't expecting us to be rated that high, just judging from past years. It just gives us something to push for even more. We are up for the challenge."\nBeing picked to finish runner-up in the Big Ten tied with Minnesota isn't the only challenge the Hoosiers are facing. IU was picked by ESPN to start the season at No. 23, and in a variety of magazines, the Hoosiers aren't predicted any higher than No. 20.\nThe concern stems from the loss of All-American Jared Jeffries who opted for the NBA, and the graduation of guard Dane Fife and forward Jarrad Odle.\nIU expects the loss of these contributing players to be made up for by their guards, and most especially, their two big men, Newton and junior center George Leach.\n"Both are really big keys for us because if they don't play good post defense then we are not going to do anything," senior guard and preseason All-American candidate Tom Coverdale said. "They are probably our best two guys right now from an experience standpoint, and they know what they are doing. They are going to have to play really well this year if we are going to do anything."\nIU also expects Coverdale, senior guard Kyle Hornsby, junior guard A.J. Moye and freshman guard Bracey Wright to make large contributions.