IUSA helping student groups

Non-monetary privileges for all

There are nearly 500 student groups registered with the Student Activities Office at IU. But with the current rules set forth by the board of trustees, not all of those student groups have access to the basic amenities that come with being a registered student. With the passage of the Student Group Support Act by the IUSA Congress Nov. 19, this should all change and rightfully so. \nGroups that are considered "religious" or "political" are not capable of possessing a Student Organizational Account (SOA) card, which allows groups access to a tax-free bank account and University services -- such as the motor pool and University telephone lines. The reason for this is all organizations that have access to an SOA card also have the ability to appear in front of the Commitment to Assist Student Initiatives (CASI) board to request money from the Student Organization Fund (SOF), which is funded from the mandatory student activities fee. So a pro-life student doesn't have to worry about his or her money funding a rally held by a pro-choice student group, and an atheist student doesn't have to worry about his or her money supporting a praise and worship gathering sponsored by a Christian organization.\nThese groups do have access to funds through the Grass Roots Initiative Fund (GRIF) supported by sales of the IUSA credit card, but it's just not fair for some IU students to have access to everything the University has to offer and others don't because of their beliefs. This is why the bill's primary sponsors, IUSA Vice President of Administration Judd Arnold and the IUSA Congress, did the right thing to recommend to the trustees to "amend the rules regarding funding for student groups so that all student groups may get an SOA card."\nAccording to the Student Groups Support Act, Congress resolution 2002-FS-11-8, all student groups registered to the Student Activities Office should have access to an SOA card and all the University resources that come with it, but do not have access to any of the monetary benefits. Arnold was wise to include "this resolution is in no way supporting religious and politically affiliated student groups getting funds raised by mandatory fees" in the bill. He and the student congress are doing the right thing by making it clear to the trustees that just because a student organization does not share the beliefs of the majority, they should not be disallowed from the everyday services provided to each student that walks through the Sample Gates.\nIt reflects poorly on the University when a group doesn't have access to services because of its religious faith, political party affiliation and/or stance upon controversial subjects such as abortion or the legalization of marijuana. This is why the trustees need to show that they care about IU students and listen to IUSA. \nJust like the bill, this is not an editorial requesting all student groups have access to the SOF. The regulations that separate CASI and GRIF are the right ones. But the trustees need to follow IUSA's example and allow all student groups access to all non-monetary privileges that come with being a Hoosier.