Democratic candidate contests state House race

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Democratic candidate for state representative in northern Indiana's District 15 has filed a petition with the Indiana Secretary of State's Election Division contesting the results of Tuesday's election.\nGeorge Baranowski, of Schererville, contends that Republican Don Lehe, of Brookston, failed to meet a residency requirement that demands he live within the district for one year prior to the election.\nLehe defeated Baranowski 2,899 votes to 2,349 votes in the race to fill the seat vacated by State Rep. Dan Dumezich, R-Schererville, who did not seek re-election.\nBaranowski previously said that Lehe had changed his voter registration from a residence outside of the district to a new residence within the district on Dec. 6, 2001.\nLehe countered that residency and voter registration are not the same and said he was a resident of the district by Nov. 5, 2001.\n"We own several houses," Lehe said. "I moved my residence last fall. Then I transferred my voter registration last December. I don't see the issue there. I'm more concerned about getting to work for the state of Indiana and the people of the 15th district."\nAn attorney for Baranowski disagreed.\n"(Baranowski) thinks this is an unqualified candidate and that the district is unrepresented because of an unqualified candidate," David Austgen said. "As the next highest vote getter, he is entitled to the office."\nThe petition requests the State Recount Commission grant a contest proceeding, the results of which must be decided by Dec. 19.