Cult horror classic shows creative gore

Yes, there are Italian horror films. There are even good ones. \nOn Halloween, the biweekly Italian Cinema series continued with "Suspiria," a cult classic which somehow combines creative gore with genuine art film qualities. The film series plays every Thursday evening at 7 p.m. in Ballantine Hall, room 330. \nJessica Harper stars as Susy Banyon, a young American ballerina who enrolls in a famous dance academy in Germany. Almost as soon as she steps off the plane she becomes tangled in a conspiracy of bizarre murders and disappearances. Susy slowly discovers the academy itself is steeped in evil -- even witchcraft! \nSo the plot's, well … not too original. And if you're looking for a horror flick devoid of clichés, "Suspiria" probably isn't for you. There's even a brutish butler from Romania, and the head dance instructress is one of those stereotypical, authoritative Fraus who are always shouting commands and being generally heartless. \nAlthough most of the 30-odd member audience found much of the gore more amusing than frightening (I laughed too, at times), "Suspiria" is generally considered one of the best horror films ever made, and it's one of my personal favorites. Admittedly, it's difficult to scare a twenty-first century audience with a 1977 picture that didn't have the financing of Hollywood. And besides, although most people today don't find "Psycho" that unsettling (or the remake, thank goodness), many viewers still appreciate and enjoy it, regardless of the fear factor. \nLoosely based on essays by Thomas de Quincey, "Suspiria" is the first part of a planned trilogy, but, sadly, the third installment was never filmed. Director Dario Argento filled almost every scene with lush visuals and unforgettable images. Everything about the picture is excessive, from the graphic murders -- the very first death involves the stabbing of an exposed and beating heart -- to the open, gothic sets. \nBut what really sets "Suspiria" apart from other horror films is how purposefully incomplete the story feels. One young student dies and is never again mentioned, the creepy supernatural powers are never fully explained, and some disturbing scenes don't have anything to do with the plot; they just stick out like weird moments in a nightmare. \nIf you like horror and you haven't seen "Suspiria," consider renting it. Also try "Inferno," the equally off-beat sequel.