'Cubic Zirconia' disappoints

"Cubic Zirconia" opened at 10 p.m. Thursday at the Bloomington Playwright's Project following the mainstage show "Kate Crackernuts." Written by Keith Tadrowski and created through the Chicago Dramatists Workshop, the show is satirical in its depiction of what goes on in dysfunctional homes where husbands are physically and emotionally abusive, and the wives are lushes.\nThe show ran 20 minutes and is directed by IU senior theater major Brad Fletcher. Fletcher did a great job directing his cast, who acted well. They performed an abrasive, disgusting and unimaginative script wonderfully.\nTadrowski's show has a little to be desired -- like quality. The show consisted of the physically abusive husband Roger walking around and kicking the crutch out from under the arm of his wife, Madge. Madge, by the way, has a crutch because Roger tripped her as she went down a flight of stairs. \nEarly in the show, while waiting for dinner guests, Roger goes off to look at what Madge calls his "collection of lesbian porn." After the other couple, Don and June, arrive, the audience hears Roger off stage enjoying his collection.\nThroughout the remaining part of the 20 minutes, the foursome trades barbs and cusses the paint off the walls.\nRoger's off stage asexual delight was cheap and revolting. What purpose did hearing the sounds of masturbation and shouting instructions to the women of his fantasies have?\n"Cubic Zirconia" is definitely one of those shows written by an aspiring playwright who was bound and bent to transmit some kind of message in his play. And to be perfectly honest, if there was one, I sure didn't see it. I felt bad for the four actors when they made their bows. I almost wished director Fletcher would have pulled the fire alarm so their misery could have ended by the show's untimely end.\nBecause the show opened at 10:30 p.m. on a Thursday night, it was up against a lot. Thursday night is not a prime opening night by any means, and 10:30 p.m. is way too close to many people's witching hour. There were other things against this play when it was finally over, like the audience. What audience? We could have all gone home in one cab; all three of us.