Skip to Content, Navigation, or Footer.
Wednesday, May 20
The Indiana Daily Student

Business in Brief

RadioShack stops asking for names\nFORT WORTH, Texas -- On "Seinfeld" once, Kramer wondered why RadioShack wanted your phone number when you were just buying batteries. \nActually, RadioShack customers were asked to give their names and addresses at checkout -- but the chain now says it has stopped doing that. \nIn a statement, RadioShack chairman and chief executive Leonard Roberts says the company began collecting the information for its mailing list more than 40 years ago. But, customers have said they found the practice annoying and time-consuming, so the company has decided to end it as part of its efforts toward providing a "superior customer shopping experience."\nVictoria's Secret settles class-action suit\nSANTA BARBARA, Calif. -- Victoria's Secret Stores Inc. has agreed to pay $4.25 million to settle a class-action lawsuit brought by California store managers who claimed the lingerie retailer failed to pay them for doing extra work. \nThe settlement, reached last month with the help of a mediator, was approved Thursday by a Santa Barbara Superior Court judge. \nVictoria's Secret did not acknowledge any wrongdoing, court records show. \nThe lawsuit claimed the Ohio-based company had a corporate practice of authorizing inadequate staffing levels that placed customer service and nonmanagement duties onto managers. Since they were not engaged in their supervisory or managerial activities, they were entitled to overtime compensation, the lawsuit said.\nBurger King cuts prices in price war\nMIAMI -- Burger King Corp. will slash the price of its double cheeseburger, the company said Friday as the fast-food industry tries to boost lagging sales by cutting prices. \nMiami-based Burger King will offer the burger for 99 cents from Nov. 25-Dec. 29. The double cheeseburger normally ranges from $1.79-$1.89. \nThe price cut at the world's second largest fast-food chain follows a similar offer of comparable $1 sandwiches launched last month by McDonald's Corp., the industry leader. \nThe battle started when Burger King created a short-term 99 cent menu for other products that prompted Oak Brook, Ill.-based McDonald's to follow suit. \n"Everybody is hurting now in the category," said Burger King spokesman Rob Doughty. But he said Friday's announcement was necessary to remain competitive with McDonald's. \nA McDonald's spokesman didn't immediately return a call Friday seeking comment. \n"Everybody's losing a little bit of market share … so they're looking for ways to at least retain revenues," said Jerry McVety, the president of McVety & Associates, a Farmington Hills, Mich.-based food service consultancy. \nHe said the industry's strategy is "it's better to sell a 99 cent something than to sell nothing." \nBut "I don't think price wars ever benefit anyone except the consumer," McVety said.\nCoorsTek rejects Coors buyout offer\nGOLDEN, Colo. -- CoorsTek Inc. on Monday announced it had rejected the Coors family's bid to buy the industrial components manufacturer for $246.5 million, calling the offer financially inadequate. \nMembers of the family and its related trusts made the $21-a-share offer earlier this month through Keystone Holdings, managed by CoorsTek chief executive, president and chairman John Coors, a great-grandson of Adolph Coors. \nThe CoorsTek board of directors established an evaluation committee consisting of six non-family board members to evaluate the offer, and the committee said it significantly undvervalues the company's long-term value. \nCoorsTek is a former subsidiary of Golden-based brewer Adolph Coors Co. that was spun off in 1992. It designs and makes components for the semiconductor capital equipment and for the automotive, electronics, industrial and telecommunications markets. \nCoorsTek has steadily been increasing revenues and improving quarterly performance since recording a $19.9 million loss in the fourth quarter 2001.

Get stories like this in your inbox
Subscribe