Wine from around the world

Scholars Inn wine tasting dinner tantalizes tastebuds

It was no ordinary dinner. This past Wednesday, tables at the Scholars Inn were covered with delectable dishes specially prepared for their annual wine-tasting dinner to launch Oktoberfest.\nThe menu, designed by a variety of chefs from Scholars Inn, highlighted traditional German dishes. Dinner began with a Rabbit and Spaetzle Soup, paired with a Maximin Grunhauser Riesling. The second course consisted of a Stuffed Bobwhite Quail on a warm bread salad with toasted pine nuts and currants. It was served with a Dr. Burklin Wolf Estate Reisling.\nNext, Sauerbraten was served with brussel sprouts and smashed fingerling potatoes. It was accompanied by the only red wine of the evening, a Graf Neipperg Red. The final course of the evening was Schwarzwalderkirschtorte, better known as Black Forrest Cake. This two layer chocolate cake and a butter-cream cherry filling was complemented with a Madonna Riesling Eiswein. \nBefore each course, a glass of German wine was brought to the table. The sommelier would then explain the history of the wine-producer and describe the vinification process. Then each dish would be brought out and the chef, who prepared the course, explained how each was impeccably constructed. \nEvery wine-tasting dinner that Scholars Inn hosts is from a unique area of the world.\n"We choose dinners based upon where our wines originate. We like to pick wines from popular regions," said head chef Chris Spear.\nThe dinners, designed for the connoisseur of fine food and drink, first began at Scholars Inn during 2001. The first, a scotch dinner, was so popular they continued holding these events. \n"We began in February of 2001 and have been doing it ever since. Oktoberfest has been a very popular time for holding this dinner," said Christi Coulston, general manager for Scholars Inn. \nThe evening ended with a short one-question quiz given by the sommelier. One lucky guest, who was the first to answer, left the restaurant with a $25 gift certificate to use toward his next visit. \nThe wine-tasting dinner brought together a group of people from the Bloomington community and taught them the history of Oktoberfest through fine foods and wines. During the dinner, everyone had smiled continuously, cherishing the moment. \nOne student, sophomore Melissa Skolnick, said she was extremely pleased with the dinner. \n"The wine-tasting dinner at the Scholars Inn was just fabulous. I've come away with a new experience and would definitely do it again. I especially enjoyed the last wine, the Madonna Riesling Eiswein." \nKarry Feigenbaum, owner of Scholars Inn explained the purpose of Oktoberfest.\n"The whole concept of The Scholars Inn is for people to have a good time while they dine," she said. "We want wine to be fun. We hope that these wine dinners make it easier for everyone when they prepare a meal at home or go to a restaurant."\nThe next wine-tasting dinner is scheduled for Oct. 22 and will focus on the wines of Italy. To make reservations call (812) 332-1892. Scholars Inn is located at 717 N. College Rd.