Trips to Iowa, Illinois to prove conference potential

Weekend wins might be enough for team to taste post-season play

Ever since last year's disappointment of missing the Big Ten Tournament by the slimmest of margins, the IU women's soccer team has preached the importance of getting to the post-season this year. After tonight's game in Iowa City and Sunday's game in Champaign, Ill., they might have done enough to earn a trip to East Lansing, Mich., where the Big Ten Tournament will be held in three weeks, and the Hoosiers are looking to solidify their chances of competing in it.\nThe Hoosiers enter the weekend at 7-4-2 (3-2-2). IU is currently in fifth place in the Big Ten, and the top six teams make it to the postseason. Iowa and Illinois enter the weekend in seventh and tenth place respectively.\nSenior forward Kristen Sprunger, who has never played in the postseason, said she knows how key the battles with Iowa and Illinois are to getting into the conference tournament.\n"We know this weekend is very important if we're going to get into the Big Ten tournament," Sprunger said. "That is all the motivator that we need to get ready for this game."\nLast weekend, the Hoosiers battled Michigan and Michigan State, the second and third teams in the conference, and came away with a win and a loss. This weekend the Hoosiers battle two of the bottom teams in the league, but coach Mick Lyon will not let his team lose focus because of their opponent.\n"Any team from the Big Ten is capable of beating anybody else in the Big Ten," Lyon said. "We do not take any team lightly."\nIowa's record is 7-5-1 (2-4-1), and their sophomore goalkeeper Britta Vogele is the reigning conference Defensive Player of the Week after two dominating performances against Ohio State and Penn State last week. Freshman defender Ryan Hanley said she is not phased by going up against such a tough force.\n"We have good scorers up top on this team," Hanley said. "If we can get it to their feet, they will be able to put a few in."\nWhile most teams dread a weekend trip, especially a long one to Iowa, the Hoosiers said they are confident and relaxed after two weekends in a row at Bill Armstrong Stadium. \n"I like the road because I get to spend more time with the team, and we can prepare them better," Lyon said. "We can just go out and relax and play well."\nSprunger added that the Hoosiers are ready for the challenge.\n"It's a long trip to Iowa," Sprunger said. "We will be fresh for them though, and then ready to go on Sunday against Illinois."\nSprunger said the team needs both wins this weekend to bolster their chances at making the tournament.\n"Our goal is to go 2-0 this weekend, and play well," Sprunger said. "In the past we have missed the Big Ten tournament by only a few points, so this weekend is really important."\nLyon told the team they can control their own destiny with a strong performance this weekend. \n"We are looking for two positive results this weekend," he said.\nHanley added that the Hoosiers can't overlook the games this weekend just because they are playing against teams ranked lower.\n"We know we need to play these teams as hard as we play any other team we play," Hanley said.