Pacers primed for opener

INDIANAPOLIS -- Yao Ming, the Houston Rockets' 7-foot-5 rookie and the No. 1 pick in this year's draft, will make his NBA debut Wednesday night against the Indiana Pacers.\n"I think Yao is going to be a great player," Thomas said. "He's got all the tools to be one of the great centers in this league."\nYao did not join the Rockets until Oct. 20 and played in just two preseason games, averaging 9.5 points and 4.5 rebounds in 18.5 minutes a game.\n"He's big, he's got a great touch around the basket, he's got good hands, can pass the basketball, has good skill and he understands the game of basketball," Thomas said.\nThe season-opener will be Yao's first trip back to Indianapolis since he played in the World Basketball Championships this summer for China. The Pacers' Reggie Miller, a member of the U.S. team, will miss at least the first two weeks of the season while he rests his right ankle that was injured in an exhibition game before the world tournament in August.\nMiller practiced during the preseason but did not play in any games. He won't even practice for at least two-to-three weeks now, although he plans to be around.\n"I'm still part of this team," the 37-year-old Miller said. "There are other ways you can lead, and that's what I'm hoping to do."\n"What he brings to this basketball team, his personality, the way he approaches the game, the way the players respect him, it's always good to have a player like that around," Thomas said.\nThe Pacers were 42-40 last season and were eliminated by New Jersey in the first round of playoffs.\n"We want to get past the first and the second round, the third round, the championship, all of that. So I have high expectations," Artest said.