'Freestyle' it with new 'NBA Live 2003'

Kobe Bryant is unstoppable. With a series of spin moves, sidesteps, crossovers and jukes, he slips between three defenders and throws down a thunderous one-handed windmill dunk. No, it's not the NBA playoffs. It's "NBA Live 2003," the latest pro basketball game from EA Sports.\nThe game isn't radically different from EA Sports' 2002 version. The graphics and sound -- which were fantastic last year -- aren't noticeably different or better, and the usual features are included: create-a-player, franchise mode and online play, to name a few. Other than updated rosters, what makes this year's game better than last year's? One word: gameplay.\nIn real life, Kobe Bryant doesn't just have three moves he uses to juke defenders. But in the past, that's all that's been available on any given video game platform. One button for spin, one button for crossover, and another for shot fake. The three-button combination left something to be desired.\nBut now, Kobe can be Kobe with EA Sports' new "Freestyle" control. Instead of using a button system for ball control moves, "NBA Live 2003" takes advantage of controllers' second analog stick, making moves look realistic and flow together. There's also more than just the typical three moves. Press down on the analog stick and watch as your player palms the ball away from the defender. Make the defender bite with a step to the right, then go to the left. The combinations are countless.\nAll of these moves, combined with a turbo button that never seems to run out of gas, can sometimes make the gamer feel like they're playing streetball instead of NBA-level basketball. Learning how to stop a spinning, juking opponent on defense can take hours and hours of practice, and most of the time, your defender will end up flat on their feet as the other team dribbles around him. \nThe speedy freestyle moves have also de-emphasized basketball strategy and the low post game. Why bang it in with a forward when a speedy point guard can slash through any defense? The game has made a Jason Kidd far more valuable than a Kevin Garnett.\nBut, in terms of the most important quality of any video game, "NBA Live 2003" succeeds: it's fun. Playing on the harder levels compensates for some of the freestyle moves, and there's nothing like the sweet satisfaction of draining three-pointers on your roommate. For an NBA fan, it's a must-have.