Experienced coach admired by players

In 23 years of coaching the women's tennis team, the one constant for Lin Loring has been success. During the span, Loring has led IU to 15 Big Ten titles, 19 National Championship appearances and a National Championship in 1982.\nBut the list doesn't end there. His program has produced an All-Big Ten player on 66 occasions, an All-American 22 different times and three individual National Champions (two singles players and one doubles team).\nLoring has been named Big Ten Coach of the Year four times (1982, 1988, 1992, 1995), Midwest Coach of the Year six times (1981-82, 1989, 1991-92, 1995) and National Coach of the Year twice (1982 and 1992). Despite his success, Loring credits his staff more than himself.\n"The fact that we've been so successful is a testimony to the good staff we've had," Loring said. "I've had wonderful players and coaches."\nIn his tenure with IU, Loring has accomplished more than many coaches do in a lifetime. Loring said he is proud of his individual and team efforts. But, he added the perfect graduation rate of his players is the single most important statistic of them all.\n"The fact that all the girls who have stayed in our program have graduated stands out the most," he said.\nAlthough he has a storied past, Loring still has a number of goals for the future. He agreed while there is not much else for him to win individually, the team has more to prove.\n"We still want to win more Big Ten titles and be competitive each year," he said. "For me personally, I don't need any more accomplishments."\nLoring has been part of the college game for 26 years and that is where he intends to stay. Loring said he has no intention of leaving and coaching professionally.\n"I really enjoy working with the college level players," Loring said. "There is too much traveling at the professional level."\nThe players said they respect Loring and the program he has developed, and they pointed out how well the practices are set up to better their games.\n"The practices are very structured and well-planned," freshman Sophie Rychlik said. "Everything we do in practice is for a purpose to help our game."\nSo far this year, the Hoosiers are not off to the great start that some of Loring's teams have had in the past, such as his 1982 team that strung together a record 39 team victories. But the players are not afraid to admit coach Loring has helped them improve.\n"I was a walk-on, but they've put a lot of effort into helping me improve my strokes and making me a better player," sophomore Jessica Groth said.\nDespite some of the team's struggles thus far, Loring is still upbeat about the season.\n"This year's team is working as hard as any team we've had. We're a little inexperienced because we have two scholarships not in use," Loring said. "If we can get (senior) J.J. (Jessica Levin) back, that'll be a huge difference"