Around The Arts

Ryder expected in California Court\nBEVERLY HILLS, Calif. -- Winona Ryder's shoplifting trial was delayed Tuesday after her lead attorney was unable to appear in court. \nJudge Elden J. Fox postponed the case until Wednesday after prosecutors and Ryder's lawyer met in his chambers. \nBut attorney Shepard Kopp said in a telephone interview that he expects the trial will be delayed until next week to allow lead attorney Mark Geragos to complete an attempted murder trial. \nThe judge also postponed until Wednesday a hearing to consider a prosecution motion to drop a felony drug charge against the actress. \nOfficials with the District Attorney's Office have said the defense offered a sworn statement from someone who said Ryder had reason to carry the painkillers, a generic form of the prescription drug Percocet, when she was arrested. \nKopp said the 30-year-old actress, who did not appear, would be in court Wednesday. \n"She's looking forward to her day in court," he said. "She's pleased the district attorney's office has reevaluated their position on the drug count." \nRyder, the star of such films as "Girl, Interrupted" and "Little Women" will stand trial on charges of felony grand theft, burglary and vandalism. She faces up to three years in prison if convicted. \nThe actress was arrested Dec. 12, 2001, outside a Beverly Hills Saks Fifth Avenue store after security officers reported that she'd taken nearly $6,000 worth of designer clothing. \nDiscussions between defense and prosecution attorneys to resolve the case without a trial broke down in mid-September. \nJudge rejects Beach Boys lawsuit

LOS ANGELES -- A Superior Court judge rejected a lawsuit by original Beach Boys member Al Jardine against two of his ex-bandmates, noting that a federal court already has dismissed similar allegations.\nJardine, the band's lead guitarist, sued fellow Beach Boys members Brian Wilson and Mike Love, claiming he had been frozen out of the surf rock group. He also alleges that he was excluded from a series of concerts last year.\nJardine, 59, is seeking $4 million and additional unspecified damages. \nSuperior Court Judge James Dunn said Wednesday that issues raised in Jardine's state court lawsuit were previously addressed in a federal lawsuit that was later dismissed. \nAlthough he rejected Jardine's lawsuit, the judge allowed him to amend and refile the complaint. A hearing is scheduled for May 30.\nJardine's attorney, Jeffrey Benice, said his client will file an amended complaint that will try to distinguish the action from the issues covered by the federal court. Benice also said Jardine is appealing the federal decision.\nClothing company sues Ivana Trump

NEW YORK -- An Arizona clothing manufacturer has sued Ivana Trump for fraud, accusing her of looting her clothing company for personal use.\nThe civil lawsuit, filed last week in Arizona Superior Court, alleges that Trump illegally transferred assets from her clothing company, House of Ivana, to buy property in Florida and pay for repairs to her yacht, the New York Post reported Tuesday. \nA spokeswoman for Trump had no immediate comment, but said the company would issue a statement later Tuesday. \nMPA International, the Phoenix-based manufacturer that filed the suit, also accuses Trump of trying to avoid a $205,000 bill by transferring House of Ivana assets to another company, Ivana Haute Couture. \nThe manufacturer is seeking $205,000, as well as interest and legal fees, from Trump, the former wife of wealthy New York developer Donald Trump, the Post reported.\n"Harry Potter" actor hospitalized

LONDON -- Richard Harris, who stars as Professor Albus Dumbledore in the "Harry Potter" movies, has been hospitalized following treatment for cancer, his agent said Tuesday. \nThe veteran Irish actor fell ill in August after shooting the second film in the series, "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets," and went to a hospital with a severe chest infection, said his London-based agent, Sharon Thomas. \nShe said the 72-year-old has been at the University College Hospital, central London, for two months, where he's had a course of chemotherapy for Hodgkin's disease. \n"He has responded extremely well to treatment. He will be out of hospital very soon," Thomas said. \nShe said Harris would be available for the third movie based on author J.K. Rowling's boy wizard, "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban." \nHodgkin's disease is the most common type of lymphoma -- a cancer of the lymphatic system, which is a network of thin tubes that carry disease-fighting white blood cells throughout the body. It occurs when the cells grow abnormally and collect to form tumors, often in the lymph nodes.