Utes run through Hoosiers

The official nickname for the University of Utah's athletic teams is the Runnin' Utes. The IU defense now knows why. Utah rushed for 386 yards in its 40-13 victory, giving IU their worst statistical defensive performance since they surrendered 417 rushing yards at Northwestern in 2000.\nLast week, the Hoosiers held William & Mary to minus-32 yards on the ground. By the time the fourth quarter rolled around, that performance seemed more like it happened last season.\n"We made them look a little bit better than they were," said coach Gerry DiNardo. "We were a poor tackling team (on Saturday), but they are a very good rushing team."\nThe defensive situation was not nearly so dire in the first quarter. On its first possession, Utah was held to 21 yards in six plays and settled for a 37-yard freshman Bryan Borreson field goal.\nThe Utes were able to sustain more of an attack the second time that they got the ball, as they went to the man who would be their bread-and-butter, running back senior Marty Johnson. Johnson carried the ball five times for 40 yards on Utah's second possession. \nOn Johnson's fifth carry of the drive, it appeared the Hoosier defense regained their goal line magic when sophomore Herena-Daze Jones forced Johnson to fumble as he attempted to dive into the end zone. The ball was recovered by last week's hero, junior Antonio Watson in the end zone, giving IU the momentum that would carry over with a 53-yard touchdown pass and a 6-3 lead at the end of the first quarter.\nUtah opened the second quarter with the ball, eating 5:06 off the clock while driving the ball 69 yards. But the IU defense did not break, holding the Utes to another field goal and a tie game.\nFrom that point forward, the tandem of Johnson and senior J.R. Peroulis burst through the IU defense like a river breaking through a levee made of paper maché, as Utah would score touchdowns on its next four possessions.\nOn its first touchdown drive, Utah ran the ball six times for 84 yards, culminating in a 2-yard run by Johnson to give Utah a 13-6 lead that would never be looked back upon.\nJohnson and Peroulis didn't get any of the glory on the next two Utah touchdowns, which came courtesy of senior quarterback Lance Rice's passes. However, they did do the brunt of the work. Johnson had six carries for 42 yards, while Peroulis ran the ball four times for 38 yards.\nJohnson got the Utes' next score on a 16-yard run to put the game well out of reach as Utah opened up a 34-6 cushion with 5:42 left to play.\nAt that point, it was pretty safe for Utah to pull Johnson out of the game. But Johnson was looking to break the Utes all time record for rushing yards in the game (248, set by Eddie Johnson in 1984), so he stayed in to play the fourth quarter.\n"Obviously, he's a great back," Utah coach Ron McBride told the Salt Lake Tribune. "He could have rushed for over 300 if he wanted to, in this game."\nThat decision may cost Utah in the long run, as Johnson sprained his right knee after a 13-yard carry, and is expected to be out for a month. Johnson ended the game with 229 yards and two touchdowns on 28 carries. Peroulis didn't score, but added 118 yards on only 16 carries.\nUtah ran the ball a total of 57 times in the game, but senior defensive lineman Kris Dielman refused to let fatigue be an excuse for the IU defense.\n"We were on the field a lot today, but that is not anything abnormal," Dielman said. "We have got to make plays."\nThe IU defense will not have much time for recovery. Next week they head to Commonwealth Stadium in Lexington, Ky. to face a Kentucky team coming off of a 77-17 victory over UTEP this week.