Spain remains undefeated

INDIANAPOLIS - Spain used the lessons it learned against Turkey a year ago to remain undefeated in the World Championships.\nSpain played poorly on defense and lost last year to Turkey in the European Championships in an ugly game that saw Spanish coach Javier Imbroda ejected and several players fighting late in the game.\nSpain shut down Turkey's 3-point game and beat Turkey 87-65 Monday to open the second round of the World Championships.\n"We knew them before from when we played them in Istanbul," Imbroda said. "We studied their moves. They're difficult to stop, but we got it done today. It was an important part of the game."\nTurkey entered the game second in the championships in 3-point shooting at 45 percent, but went 4-for-14 against Spain. Hidayet Turkoglu, Huseyin Besok and Ibrahim Kutluay combined for nine points. Kutluay, who scored 35 points against Spain in the European Championships, was scoreless Monday.\n"We knew Spain had impressive defensive power," Turkey coach Aydin Ors said. "We studied it and prepared offensive sets to run, but in the game we couldn't work them like we planned."\nSpain was led again by Pau Gasol, the NBA's rookie of the year with Memphis. He scored 19 points and Spain shot 12-of-24 from 3-point range. Gasol was averaging 20 points in three games entering Monday.\nIn other games Monday, it was: Puerto Rico 85, Yugoslavia 83, Germany 84, New Zealand 64, Canada 91, Lebanon 67; Venezuela 98, Algeria 83; and Brazil 86, Angola 83 in OT.\nBrazil 86, Angola 83, OT\nBrazil, which was expected to win this one easy, scored the first six points of overtime to remained undefeated in the championships.\nBrazil trailed with 8.9 seconds left in regulation, but Rogerio Klafke made three free throws to tie the score. In overtime, Angola had one last chance to tie the game, but Victor Muzadi's 3-point attempt from the corner went out of bounds.\nAngola is in the second round for the first time in its fourth World Championships appearance.\n"Maybe we were looking ahead," Brazil forward Sandro Varejao said, referring to Tuesday's game with defending champion Yugoslavia. "If we play the way we did today against Yugoslavia we'd lose by 40, 50 points. But we found a way to win another close game."\nCanada 91, Lebanon 67\nLebanon had a new coach but the same result: another loss against Canada.\nJohnny Neumann was fired as coach of Lebanon's national basketball team for criticizing the country's government but the change didn't help as Canada won 91-67.\nRowan Barrett and Prosper Karangwa each scored 18 points and Canada used a 16-0 third-quarter run for its first victory of the championships.\nAssistant Saskis Koryian will coach Lebanon the rest of the tournament.\n"He made some statements in front of some players that hurt the image of Lebanon," said team manager John Mamo, also a member of the Lebanese Basketball Federation. "He should not have talked this way. He should not have gotten on national TV to insult the government in front of players."\nThen Canada snapped a 51-51 game with a decisive 16-0 run. Karangwa and Steve Ross each scored six points during the run.\nVenezuela 98, Algeria 83\nVictor Diaz scored 29 points to lead Venezuela to a 98-83 victory over Algeria in the classification semifinals of the World Championships.\nOscar Torres, who plays for the Houston Rockets, added 20 points for Venezuela, while Richard Lugo had 17 points and 16 rebounds.\nAmine Benramdane was 7-for-11 from 3-point range and had 29 points for Algeria (0-4), which is making its first appearance in the World Championships.\nPuerto Rico 85, Yugoslavia 83\nOne of the oldest players in the tournament is still making a large contribution.\nJose Ortiz, 38, made two free throws over the final 2.1 seconds to give Puerto Rico a victory over Yugoslavia.\nOrtiz, a former Pac-10 player of the year at Oregon State and first-round draft pick of the Utah Jazz, finished with 15 points and eight rebounds. He said he'd keep playing as long as he enjoyed the game.\nGermany 84, New Zealand 64\nDirk Nowitzki, used to carrying the offensive load for Germany, had some help in its 84-64 victory over New Zealand. Mithat Demirel scored 14 points, and Misan Nikagbatse added 13 for Germany (3-1).\nKirk Penney had 15 points for New Zealand (2-2).\nNew Zealand was without Sean Marks, of the Miami Heat, who will miss the rest of the championships with a blood clot in his right eye.