Local symphony orchestra welcomes new conductor

During an early autumn evening last Thursday filled with wine, music and conversation, over 150 musicians, patrons and Monroe County public welcomed Leonardo Panigada as the new conductor of the Bloomington Symphony Orchestra at the Oliver Winery. \nCo-sponsored by 103.7 WFIU, IU's public radio station, the BSO fundraising event opened at 6:30 p.m. to guests with gourmet hors d'oeuvres and a plethora of Oliver wines for visitors to taste. Providing the evening's entertainment was Karl Sturbaum's Jazz Group, whose lead member, Karl Sturbaum, is a cellist for the BSO. \nWith jazz music floating in the humid, twilight air, guests browsed the tables laden with prizes for the night's raffle. Among the gifts were concert, theater and sports tickets, gift baskets, retail gift certificates, fine arts and crafts, CDs and more. The master of ceremonies for the night was George Walker, the classical music programmer for WFIU. Opening the evening with welcome remarks, Walker soon gave the microphone away to Panigada, whose thick accent gave all in attendance a hint of what is to come for the BSO concerts.\nPanigada was chosen by the BSO Board out of a final slating of six well rounded, diverse candidates. His experience and commitment to music education and outreach to young people were dutifully noted by all. Being appointed as the new Artistic Director-Conductor is a thrill for the Latin American.\n"I feel honored and thrilled," Panigada said. "I have a lot of enthusiasm for the orchestra and the music. I am honored because of the orchestra's community and it has a program that shows respect for youth talent. I see music as a history, or continuum where society has a part in it everyday. This season will be an explosion of music."\nOriginally a native of Venezuela, Panigada currently holds dual Venezuelan-Italian citizenship. His undergraduate studies were completed at the Simon Bolivar Conservatory in Caracas, Venezuela, with additional studies in Spain, Italy and France. Currently, Panigada is a doctoral student in the IU School of Music.\nOut of all the new and exciting opportunities the BSO will offer to Panigada, he is most excited about the youth outreach opportunities. \n"The most important thing I am looking forward to is that the classical music will be able to reach young people," Panigada said. "I was one of seven children and I heard classical music. Now I am here. If we can reach more young people and show to them the wonderful aspects of classical music so they will love that experience and education. Music is not only for musicians, but for understanding of life. The force inside music can change lives and is not just a concept."\nCurrently, the BSO is comprised of volunteer musicians ranging from high school students to senior citizens, as well as a "Side-by-Side" concert with Bedford-North Lawrence High School orchestra students. The concert sits one high school musician at the same music stand as a member of the symphony orchestra.\nEntering its 33rd season, the 50+ member orchestra made up solely of volunteers will open its season with "Rhythms from Spain and Latin America" on Sunday, Oct. 20 at 3 p.m. BSO violinist Fay Blackburn, who has played in the orchestra since 1973, is excited about the new and diverse program the BSO will offer to area residents.\n"It is all very exciting and we have high expectations of Leonardo," Blackburn said. "He seems to have a lot of command and knows what techniques to use in rehearsal. It will all show and pay off when we play the beautiful music he has chosen for us."\nGeneral Manager for the BSO, Lydia Brown Finkelstein, believes the Panigada's heritage and experience will make the orchestra more appealing to all.\n"We are really excited about his Latin American heritage. His selections are a real departure for our orchestra," Finkelstein said. "We are trying to become more of the world's culture, and this is a wonderful opportunity for us to reach out to the Monroe Country community"