Hoosiers look for third win against in-state rival Ball State

The field hockey team takes to the road again this weekend as they travel to Muncie, to take on Ball State. \nIU confronts the Cardinals on the heels of a productive trip to the Big Ten/Big East Challenge where they lost in OT to Rutgers, 2-1, but beat a very good Villanova squad, 3-1. Overall, the Hoosiers stand at 2-4.\nCoach Amy Robertson said she can't wait to take on BSU at 1 p.m. Saturday. \n"Ball State is a very good team," Robertson said. "They are also a lot of fun to play against."\nThe last time the teams met, Ball State trounced IU 3-0 and completely dominated them offensively, out-shooting the Hoosiers 22-2. \nBut Robertson said she thinks the marked improvement the team saw last weekend will spill over into their rematch with the Cardinals. \n"In our first few games, we rushed our shots," Robertson said. "We are now starting to capitalize on our opportunities, and I think that will continue to happen."\nThe fact remains that Ball State upended the Hoosiers at home and Robertson said IU is seeking to return the favor.\n"In our last game against (Ball State) we did not play up to our ability," she explained. "We need to stay focused and play our style."\nAfter manhandling IU, the Cardinals were put in their place by Michigan as the No. 3 Wolverines ran away with a 5-1 victory on Sept. 8.\nSophomore mid-backer Kayla Bashore leads the team with 18 shots. She said the Hoosiers can capitalize on the same weaknesses that Michigan did. \n"If we put more pressure on them with our first line of defense, we will get more offensive chances," Bashore said. "We just need to stay confident and make the most of those chances."\nAnother bright spot for IU has been senior goaltender Molly Pulkrabek. For the second week in a row, Pulkrabek has led the Big Ten in total saves (47) and saves per game (8.25). Pulkrabek, however, is modest about her accolades. \n"I didn't even know I lead the Big Ten in saves," Pulkrabek said. "I've simply been trying to improve game by game and I have gotten better."\nPulkrabek said teamwork will be the key in pulling out a victory against BSU.\n"We didn't play as a unit in our first game with them," Pulkrabek said. "Hopefully, this time around the team can work together and make my job easier."\nMore and more, IU-Ball State match-ups are being touted as an in-state rivalry. The Cardinals were IU's only victory in last year's lackluster 1-16 campaign, and Ball State got some revenge by defeating IU on their home field earlier this season. \nCoach Robertson puts the so-called rivalry in a different perspective.\n"Well we don't have Purdue to beat so I guess someone has to be our in-state rival," Robertson said.