Hoosiers finish in fifth

It's amazing what two weeks can do. Two weeks without competition. Two weeks to reflect on the last tournament. Two weeks to find any mistakes and correct them, and two weeks to get ready to win.\nThat is exactly what the Hoosiers did on Saturday. Sunday, however, was a different story. The Hoosiers ended Saturday in second place, one shot back of leader Eastern Kentucky University, but fell in the standings Sunday to finish the tournament in fifth place. \nEntering the Earl Yestinsmeier Invitational at Ball State University, the squad knew they had a very solid chance of winning the whole tournament -- their first since the 2000 Legends Intercollegiate. \nThe Hoosiers came out smoking. The Hoosiers were led by senior Ben Davidson and sophomore Jeff Overton after the first two rounds who both tied for sixth place with a three under par 141.\n"The first two rounds were pretty impressive, and the conditions were near perfect," coach Mike Mayer said.\nBut, the solid play did not continue throughout the third round. No Hoosier shot under 74, and they finished with an overall score of 307 which landed the team in fifth place overall out of 15 competing teams. \n"We got ourselves into a position to win, but we didn't get the job done," Mayer said. "We had a bad round [on Sunday]."\nSophomore Heath Peters said the team blew a golden opportunity.\n"We were in a place we knew we should be, but we just couldn't capitalize. We dropped the ball," Peters said. \nSeveral factors played into the team's unwinding in the third round. The weather went from clear and perfect to dismal over the weekend, with high winds and cooler temperatures. Peters said the weather had a negative impact on the team's play. \nOn top of the poor weather, poor short game play also raised scores this weekend for the Hoosiers. Once again, putting was trouble for the squad.\n"My putting was horrible," Peters said. "I could strike the ball well, but I couldn't get anything near the hole."\nPeters ended up being the lone Hoosier to shoot par, leaving him tied for tenth and the highest placing Hoosier of the tournament.\nOverton, who along with Davidson led the Hoosiers going into play on Sunday ended the tournament one over par, shooting a 217. \n"We played well for two rounds, but the last round was pathetic. We are very disappointed and upset we played so bad," Overton said.\nPeters said despite the breakdown, the team is ready to play at the next level.\n"We are real close to breaking through," Peters said.\nThat chance will come this coming weekend when the Hoosiers host the Northern Intercollegiate at the IU Golf Course. \n"We will get back up and get going again tomorrow," Mayer said. "We just to need to regroup and we'll be fine"