Freshman making most of opportunity

In last Saturday's game, freshman John Pannozzo did something that hasn't been done at IU since 1999. Pannozzo hauled in two touchdown passes from senior Tommy Jones becoming the first IU player since Jerry Dorsey to catch two touchdowns in a game. \nThe first touchdown gave IU its first lead of the game -- one they would not relinquish. The second touchdown was equally as important because provided needed insurance since William and Mary was driving for the tying touchdown. Seems like an impressive feat until you talk with Pannozzo.\n"I don't think that I was a key role in the game. I was just doing what I was supposed to do and that just happened," Pannozzo said. "There are 11 guys on the field doing their job and what I did was based on what the ten other guys did. As a result I was wide open and the quarterback hit me in the chest with the ball. It was nothing spectacular. I just made a routine play."\nIf scoring two touchdowns and leading the team in receptions and yards is routine, the IU coaching staff will take more of the same from Pannozzo. IU still needed a fullback at the start of camp. Pannozzo knew that there would be a good chance of seeing significant playing time. As things worked out, it came sooner than expected.\n"The position was open, and it was a huge opportunity with only one guy ahead of me coming into camp," Pannozzo said. "Given that, anything can happen. I knew I'd get my chance either early, late, sometime."\nPannozzo's adjustment to the college game had to be a rapid one. He was thrust into the starting position, but the coaches knew he could handle it.\n"He's had to come in and get it on in a hurry, and that's what he's done," running back coach Gerald Brown said. "He's brought a toughness to the program. John had to step in and become a starter. He's handled it very well."\nFullbacks are asked to do two main things, catch passes and block. Senior A.C. Myler said Pannozzo possesses the traits that will make him a good fullback.\n"Since he came in, he's had really good hands," Myler said. "He's a guy that's going to throw his body in there and try to get somebody down on a block. And he can catch the ball. Those are the two things you ask your fullback to do, and he's doing pretty good at both of them right now."\nBrown said he thinks opposing defenses will be more aware of Pannozzo's abilities, which could open it up for other receivers. Myler said Pannozzo shouldn't feel any pressure to repeat his two touchdown performance but just keep doing his job. Success will find him. Pannozzo said he just wants success for the team.\n"There are expectations to get better, become a championship team, and go to a bowl game," Pannozzo said. "Everything is about becoming better and being a better program"