Cycling Club bound for nationals

When people hear the words "Bloomington" and "cycling" in the same sentence, they habitually think "Little 500." However, this annual event, which perpetuates IU's fabled "greatest college weekend," is far from the only race cyclists prepare for in this town. \nThis week, the IU Cycling Club is sending seven of its members to represent IU at the National Track Cycling Championships, Sept. 20-22, at the Brian Piccolo Velodrome in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.\nIUCC has existed on campus since 1988 and is a member of the Midwest Collegiate Cycling Conference. \n"It's more than a club," senior Jason Mount, president of IUCC, said of their involvement, "it's a club sport." \nThough they are traveling to Florida this weekend for the track championships, one need not be a champion rider to join the club, which consists of about 100 riders hailing from all skill levels. \n"[IUCC] is open to everyone, beginners to professionals," Mount said. "Categories range depending on distance of the race and intensity."\nLikewise, a cycling background is not a requirement. \n"I rode recreationally a little throughout high school, but I essentially started cycling with IUCC," senior Jenn Wangerin said. Wangerin has since been instrumental in leading the Roadrunners to the women's Little 500 title each of the past two races. Similar stories abound from other members. \n"I met so many cyclists here in Bloomington, they encouraged me to start racing, and so I did, and I basically have fallen in love with the sport ever since," junior Jen Hawkins said. "Jason [Mount] is one of the people that got me into cycling and encouraged me to start racing." \nMount acknowledged the club's diverse recruiting strategy.\n"We encourage anyone of any skill level to come out and ride. It's a lot of fun coming to these competitions with 100 other people," Mount said. "You branch out, meet others, and get involved on campus, too." \nAs a result of IUCC's open policies, most new riders have taken to the sport easily. \n"The best way to get into racing bikes is to jump in and get your feet wet," Wangerin said. "There's a lot of cyclists on this campus because of Little 500, and I encourage them to try collegiate cycling…I've also had tons of fun, met lots of people, and have done some traveling around the country."\nIn her time with IUCC, Wangerin, a top finisher at the NCAA Track Nationals in past years, recalls many unforgettable experiences. \n"Finishing the collegiate national road race in Burlington, Vt. this past spring was inspiring," Wangerin said. "The course was very difficult. It included two mountain passes, and I was so tired when I finished that I couldn't stand up. The view at the top of the mountain was spectacular." \nThough the club, which is a division of Recreational Sports, has its own independent schedule and funding, its membership is invariably tied to May's Little 500 race.\n"All the top guys from the Little 500 teams ride, but it's relaxed, too. You can go to any of the races you want to," said sophomore Josh Beisel, an avid Little 500 rider and IUCC member. "If you like racing competitively, IUCC is the place to be, and if you can hang with the pack, you're good to go." \nIUCC's national squad has high hopes for this year's championships. Though IUCC has been historically competitive on a national scale since its inception at IU in 1988, it has not won the track nationals since the early nineties. This year's team, consisting of Mount, freshman Rahsaan Bahati, freshman Josh Weir, senior Kevin Vanes, sophomore Simeon Commissiong, Wangerin and junior Jennifer Hawkins, hopes to break that trend.\n"We're diverse and very powerful," Mount said. "Although we're moderate in number we're a very deep team."\nEvents for this weekend's races are divided among the three days, the first two days encompassing the individual and team races, the third day for the points races. Awards are given for individual events, and the best overall team at the end of the weekend is given the coveted team championship.\n"Nationals is always more competitive than any other race, and I think we have one of the best teams there. It says a lot if you can come back a national champion," freshman Rahsaan Bahati said.\nAlthough IU fell short of the team championship last year, there many were outstanding performances that the team can build upon this weekend in Ft. Lauderdale. But Wangerin is confident this year's team is stronger than last.\n"I'm looking forward to defending my national championship titles in the 500 meter time trial, individual pursuit, and the points race," she said. "We are definitely in the running for a team championship title too."\nIUCC can be contacted at cycling@indiana.edu.