Around The Game

Men's golf finishes fifth\nThe Hoosiers struggled on the final day of the Earl Yestingsmeier Invitational, falling from a tie for second going into the last round to a fifth place finish. The team shot scores of 282 and 283 for the first two rounds, but, in the face of windy weather and cooler temperatures, shot a 307 third round total. \nSenior captain Ben Davidson and sophomore Jeff Overton led the Hoosiers in the first two rounds, both firing three under par 141s. \n"The first two rounds were pretty impressive, and the conditions were near perfect," coach Mike Mayer said. \nIn the final round, no Hoosiers shot below a 74 as the team struggled to a fifth place finish in the field of 15 teams. \nPeters, who shot par and finished tied for tenth individually, was the highest finishing Hoosier. Austin Peay State University shot an 856 to win the tournament.\nField hockey falls to Ball State\nBall State has scored two goals in two games against the Hoosiers this season, and they've won both of them.\nThe Cardinals notched their second 1-0 victory over the Hoosiers this year, as IU's record dropped to 2-5. BSU dominated offensively as they outshot IU 27-3. They have outshot the Hoosiers 49-5 on the year. \nCoach Amy Robertson said she was disappointed with the team's performance.\n"We were trying to do the right things, but there was a lack of confidence on our part," Robertson said. "We just need to trust our abilities and play our game."\nSenior goaltender Molly Pulkrabek, who led the Big Ten in saves and saves per game going into the contest, had 17 saves in the game.\n"Molly kept her composure in the game and stayed calm," Robertson said. \nThe Hoosiers continue their season Sept. 28 when they travel to face Georgetown.\nWomen's tennis goes 10-17 in weekend tourney\nFreshman Sarah Batty defeated Drake\'s Annali de Bruyn 6-2, 6-3 in the number one singles position to highlight the Hoosiers competition at the Bronco Invitational over the weekend. The tournament was the first of the year for the Hoosiers, but it will not count towards the team's final standings.\nMartina Grimm and Dominika Walterova also logged wins over Drake in the number two and three singles positions Sunday. Walterova and Batty defeated Cynthia Skogerboe and Melinda Fenimore of Drake out of the number one doubles position.\nBatty competed out of the number one spot all weekend and went 3-1 in her first collegiate tennis experience. \nThe host Broncos dominated the tournament, going 26-5 on the weekend. The Hoosiers went 10-17 as a team.