Team on the attack for season opener

For the IU field hockey team, the saying "third times a charm" sounds more than fitting as the Hoosiers prepare for their third season of existence. \nHead coach Amy Robertson leads her squad into battle Saturday as they open their season against Miami of Ohio. Robertson is hoping an attacking style of play and team unity will propel the Hoosiers to vast improvement in 2002 from their 1-16 showing in 2001.\nRobertson approached preseason practice focused on two goals. First, to build stronger team unity between the existing nucleus of players and the newcomers. Her second objective was to concentrate on a new attacking style of play that she instituted. Robertson feels she accomplished both. \n"This being the third year of the program, we feel that team unity and building an attacking style of play go hand in hand. We feel we can't focus on being a great hockey team. We just have to focus on being on the same page."\nIn addition, Robertson believes that her third squad is in the best shape of any of her teams at IU, and declares that the players are as prepared as they'll ever be. \n"We have challenged the team mentally, we've challenged them physically, and we are more fit than we've ever been. Plus, we play with a lot more speed and intelligence. "\nSpeaking of speed, it's what the Hoosiers will rely on in 2002. Offensively, the Hoosiers will look to improve on last year's offense, which averaged less than one goal a game. Robertson will look to speedy returning players and talented newcomers to incorporate this new aggressive style. Sophomore Kim Nash led the Hoosiers in scoring last year and returns to head the offensive attack along with second team All-Big Ten midfielder sophomore Kayla Bashore. \nNash and Bashore have plenty of help in the form of talented freshmen, adding Nikki Orciuch to the squad's steady field general, senior Erica Nilsson.\n"We have a lot of speed and a lot of incoming players who played attacking positions in high school," Robertson said."So far our output in practices and scrimmages has been incredible. hey are more determined to put the ball in the back of the net, and we are taking smarter shots."\nWhile the game plan the last two years has been primarily defensive, Robertson plans to send more players on the offensive this fall. \n"Our system has changed so we have more players involved in the attack with a lot more players wanting equal touches on the ball," Robertson said.\nDefensively, the Hoosiers face a more daunting challenge in replacing one of their top two goalkeepers. Sophomore Katie Kanara was selected last season to the Big Ten All-Tournament team, but was lost for the season with a shoulder injury during summer drills. Although Robertson wishes she had Kanara along for the campaign, the barrel is definitely not dry. Senior Molly Pulkrabek, who split time with Kanara in 2001, returns for her senior season at goalkeeper. Pulkrabek will most likely share time this fall with sophomore Lauren Brophy who possibly has the most interesting story of the preseason. Brophy made the switch to goalie during preseason practice on request from Robertson, and has truly taken to the position.\n"Lauren has a real understanding for her position because she played goal in soccer, and she has been very aggressive, determined, and a quick learner," Robertson said.\nRobertson is hoping that all the pieces will start to fit together Saturday at Miami of Ohio. Although winning is certainly a goal, the Hoosiers have two needed achievements squarely on their minds. Number one, winning their first Big Ten conference game.\nA Big Ten win is definitely on Nash's calendar this fall. "It will be good to get over that plateau because we set high expectations for ourselves, and a Big Ten win will really make our season go out with a bang."\nWins and losses aside, the team carries added confidence into the fall campaign because of their improvement in many facets of the game. Bashore said, "Team-wise, we have improved tremendously over the spring, but going past the fundamentals and building on our strategy, that will be the key to our season"