world

Student almost a victim of Hamas bomb

Carmel native 'encourages' others to study at Hebrew University

Daniel Farahan, an IU student and Carmel, Ind. native, was in the cafeteria of Hebrew University in Jerusalem with his cousin just moments before a bomb exploded at lunch time Wednesday. \nOnly minutes after he left, an explosion unleashed by a member of Hamas, a Palestinian militant group, left seven people dead, including 5 Americans, and more than 70 injured. \nAlthough Farahan, who is studying Hebrew at the university, witnessed a very frightening and traumatic event Wednesday, he believes the event strengthened his resolve to stay in Israel despite the danger. \n"I encourage other people (to stay in Israel)," he said. "I really encourage other people to come visit and learn here. The fact that people are still coming shows that the terrorists aren't winning."\nFarahan said Americans should view these attacks as somewhat connected to those of Sept. 11.\n"It is the same people who are trying to destroy the United States, who are trying to destroy Israel. It is the same ideology," Farahan said. "We should do everything in spite of them."\nSylvia Farahan never wanted her son to go to Israel, but she never told him not to go or to come home.\n"We worry about him, but sometimes you need to let people do what they need to do, and that's what I think about, especially as a mother. Hamas doesn't have the right to take this experience away from my son," Sylvia said.\nAlthough she fears for her son's safety, she knows this is something he really wants.\n"He's really happy there," Sylvia said. "Earlier that day my son had been with with an old Palestinian man on a hill overlooking an Arab city talking about peace."\nThe desire for peace was pushed even further away with Wednesday's bombing. Originally thought to be a suicide bomber, investigations later revealed the device to be a bag containing a bomb and other metal objects left on a table and detonated remotely by cellular phone. \nFor the time being, many students at Hebrew University say they will stay.\n"If we felt strong enough to come now, I don't think this is going to be a deterrent," Catherine Chochin, a student from Ottawa, told The Indianapolis Star. "I don't know what's going to happen if more incidents happen on campus. I can't stay I am staying no matter what."\nNot much has seemed to keep Farahan away from Israel, despite the constant turmoil. His presence, along with other foreigners, is inspiring for some. \n"I have a lot of family here, and they say it is good that I came at a time like this," he said. "Everyone here knows I am not an Israeli because of my accent. I get a really good response from them."\nFarahan has been to Israel six times in the past. He came in June of this year to do an internship at The Jerusalem Post and is now studying at the University. He is majoring in Jewish studies and political science and has founded a student group called Indiana Students for Israel while at IU. Rather than return to IU, Farahan hopes to pursue his degree at Hebrew University and join the Israeli army after graduating. Farahan said he doesn't have any future plans to return to IU and expressed concern over the IU Overseas Study Program's cancelation of its summer program at Hebrew University. \n"I am going to try and get my degree from this University," he said. "I am disappointed in IU; they gave into terror when they cancelled their trip here"