Stewart throws punches at photographer

INDIANAPOLIS -- Tony Stewart's temper got the best of him yet again Sunday when he was involved in a physical altercation with a photographer following the Brickyard 400.\nStewart, who started from the pole, had a strong car most of the day and was running in third when he mysteriously faded over the final few laps and finished 12th. He pulled his No. 20 Pontiac into the garage, hopped out and abandoned the car next to one of the empty bays at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.\nAs he hurriedly walked off, he swatted his hand in the air when approached from behind by a man. A photographer was following, Stewart broke into a trot and the photographer began to run alongside of him.\nStewart, an Indiana native, then turned to the man and threw several punches at him before he was pulled away. He then ran out of the garage area.\nThe photographer, who refused to identify himself, repeated the story to car owner Joe Gibbs in a lengthy conversation next to Stewart's hauler.\n"I spoke to the man and I feel confident we don't have a problem," Gibbs said. "I haven't spoken to Tony. This place is the No. 1 place he wants to win a race and I'm sure he's bitterly disappointed."\nIt's not the first time Stewart has had a run-in following a race.\nLast season at Daytona, he had to be restrained by Gibbs and crew chief Greg Zipadelli during an argument with a NASCAR official, then slapped away a reporter's tape recorder and kicked it when the reporter tried to pick it up.\nThe temperamental Stewart has been on his best behavior this season, trying hard to avoid controversy and stay off of probation after NASCAR put him under restriction for most of last season.\nAnd his spirits had been good here this weekend during a hectic homecoming for the Rushville native.\nHe had been candid and funny during interviews, even though most of his sessions were laced with his usual brutal honesty while he complained about everything from poor racing conditions at New Hampshire International Speedway last month to the aerodynamic disadvantages he believes his car has.\n"It's still a work in progress," Gibbs said. "But he's coming around and I still see a lot of positives in him"