Williams ties Big Ten record with 6 TDs in single game

MADISON, Wis. - What a game. What a record-breaking, defense dominating, near-flawless game. \nIt's almost unexplainable, almost unbelievable, almost uncomprehendable how a winless IU football team traveled to Wisconsin and completely rolled over a 3-2 Badger team.\nAlmost being the key word. The Hoosiers went, they dominated, they stunned 79,264 spectators by whooping Wisconsin 63-32. To put that number in perspective, the last time an IU football team scored 63 points was in 1890. \n"I don't think it's the Lord that decides whether Wisconsin or Indiana that wins the game and I don't think he cares, but he really has blessed us with a group of kids that kept believing in us," coach Cam Cameron said. "I just think we are extremely blessed with the kind of kids we have on the team, and I know its been hard to try to convince you guys of that. I don't know why you didn't believe me, but today you can see some indications we have got a group of kids that haven't quit on us."\nBut the kind of performance the Hoosier team displayed Saturday at Camp Randall Stadium had fans and players alike shaking their heads.\nBecause how is it possible that the Wisconsin defense, ranked 16th in the nation and set-up to prevent the run, let senior running back Levron Williams rush for a career-high 280 yards and score a record-tying six touchdowns?\nNot only did Williams decimate the Badgers with a 51- and a 56-yard score, but with his six touchdowns he tied the record set by Michigan State's Blake Ezor in 1989 for the most touchdowns scored in a Big Ten game.\n"Oh my goodness. I came up to him and said 'Lev, man, you probably got 300 yards rushing,' and someone else said 'No, he's got 400,'" senior linebacker Justin Smith said. "He was just running through the middle, like untouched, and breaking through. He was running over people, and Levron's not a little guy. It's what we expect him to do. It was a lot of fun watching the offense get back to the way they were and it was a lot of fun on defense flying around."\nBut arguably more amazing then the show Williams put on was the defense against the Badgers. IU's defense, led by senior cornerback Sharrod Wallace, helped set the tone for the day when he broke up a pass on the first Wisconsin drive that led to a fourth down and a Hoosier possession.\nSenior quarterback Antwaan Randle El threw a 46-yard pass to freshman wide receiver Travis Haney to set up Williams' first touchdown run. From there, the Hoosiers could not be touched.\nTimewise, the Hoosiers did not need to dominate the clock to run up the score. At the end of the first quarter, IU's offense had scored four times, which took 11 plays and lasted just over two and a half minutes. 2:31 to be exact. \nThe fifth score during the first half came from a blocked Wisconsin punt the Hoosiers special teams returned for a touchdown. \n"I just wanted to keep going," Randle El said. "We were up 32-0, and I just wanted to keep going. Then they scored three points and I got upset. I kept telling our defense to just keep fighting, and we came in at halftime and we we were like, it's not over. Let's come out the second half and put forth the same effort and continue to put points on the board and not let up."\nThey didn't.\nGoing into halftime, the score was 42-17, and Cameron told his team in the locker room to act like the score was zero-zero. So the Hoosiers added 21 points to the Badgers' 15 in the third and fourth quarters.\nThe Hoosiers came up with its first interception of the season by sophomore cornerback Michael Hanley in the third quarter. By this time, IU already forced and recovered three fumbles.\n"(The defense was) flying around hitting people, causing fumbles, getting picks, and blocking punts," Smith said. "It felt good, because when you get one big play, it starts to snowball. When we got that first fumble in the first quarter and then we got another fumble and another one and blocked punt, a pick; they start coming once you get the first one. I've never had so much fun in a game." \nWilliams' yardage and Randle El's 102 rushing yards helped IU's total on the ground reach 449 yards. Randle El threw a first quarter touchdown that was the 36th of his career, breaking the Hoosier record for career touchdown passes of 35, while throwing for 182 yards in the game.\n"One thing I think we learned, is that no matter what the lead is, you have to go out there and make plays and be on the edge," Wallace said. "If (defense) does that, offense isn't going to change what they are doing. I feel good, because I think we played well on all three phases. But actually this win is over, and I'm worried about next week now"