Trio to perform

If you have ever studied jazz music, it's likely you have come across the name: The Lynne Arriale trio. The trio will be performing Feb. 1, 8 p.m., at the John Waldron Arts Center.\nWith a master in classic piano performance from the Wisconsin Conservatory of Music, Lynne Arriale has been studying piano for 30 years and studying jazz for 15. \nArriale was playing by ear and making up melodies at age three. In 1993 she won the International Great American Jazz Piano Competition in Jacksonville, Florida. She has also performed in concert and on National Public Radio's "Piano Jazz" with legend Marian Mc Partland. \nIn addition to performance, Arriale is committed to education. She conducts educational clinics throughout Europe and the United States and is a faculty member of the Jamey Aebersold Summer Jazz Workshops.\nBut, being a touring jazz musician is far from glamorous. When asked what a touring musician does for fun, she simply replied, "Sleep." \nIt becomes a chore just to get to a concert without missing her meals. But despite this, Arriale remains dedicated to her music. \n"Every concert is an opportunity to reach people and help them define their path. I connect with every club and concert hall using music," Arriale said.\nIn addition to Arriale, the Lynne Arriale Trio consists of two other highly-acclaimed musicians.\nJay Anderson is a bassist/composer who has been playing the acoustic bass since he was 12-years-old. He has been awarded for his performance in both jazz and classical music, and is a graduate of California State University. Anderson has performed and recorded with some of the most important names in jazz, like Bennie Wallace and Toots Thielemans. \nLike Arriale, Jay is devoted to education. He has conducted clinics around the world and is a faculty member at the Manhattan School of Music and SUNY New Paltz, NY.\nSteve Davis is a drummer who has been part of over seventy recordings, including three under his own name. He has been a part of the trio for more than six years, and like the other members he has devoted a large amount of time to education. He has been on the faculty of Jamey Aebersold Jazz Clinics since 1982 and recently served on the faculty of the Berlin Conservatory of Music as a professor of jazz studies. He is currently an Artist in residence at IU. Arialle describes jazz it as "using mainstream tunes to lend to improvisation."\n"The audience is invited through the familiar to hear the music," she said. \nArriale stressed that anyone interested in a career in jazz should educate themselves with the business aspect of performing. \n"Practice properly, use time most effectively, have a teacher, and learn about the business of music as soon as you can. No amount of practice can teach you how to find work," she said. \nThe Lynne Arriale Trio has played many concerts and festivals in Europe as well as numerous tours throughout the U.S. and Canada. In the past eight years, The Lynne Arriale Trio has recorded seven CDs, including their newest CD "Inspiration."\nArriale's longtime publicist Patrick Paris raves about the trio's success. \n"More and more people are responding every place that she plays," Paris said. \nHe said that such publications as the London Times claim that "no American pianist has made quite as strong an impression over the past five years as Arriale."\nArriale will perform on Feb. 1 at the John Waldron Arts Center, and her small clinic on Feb. 12 in MA 454, before heading to Chicago and then Europe.