The wrong way to peace

Because most of the media coverage has been focused on the terrorist attacks, many Americans have not noticed that the situation in the Middle East has gotten progressively worse since the events of Sept. 11. The number of killings have risen on both the Palestinian side and the Israeli side, and no one outside the region seems to notice. \nNow, members of the cabinet on both sides seem to be the targets of attacks. Israeli cabinet member Rechavam Zeevi was shot in the head and the neck Wednesday, in an attempt to end a cease-fire between the Israelis and Palestinians, CNN reports. The media and public perceptions have become so engrossed in the attack and the new threat of anthrax that they have forgotten about the conflict which sparked both. \nWe fail to realize whether they get Osama bin Laden or not, terrorism will still persist. Bin Laden is not the source of terror, just the form it takes at present. Going after him is a knee-jerk reaction. The problem of terrorism will not be fixed, only changed.\nEveryone has been quick to jump on the "War Against Terrorism" bandwagon. But in their haste to bomb bin Laden, politicians are forgetting to fight another battle. The world will not be a safe place until this battle is fought and won.\nThe battle I am referring to is the battle for peace in the Middle East. For the past decade, the peace process has been chasing it's own tail and not moving forward in any substantive ways.\nIn the past decade, the standard of living in Palestine and Iraq has fallen to abysmal levels. As this happens, resentment for Israel and her biggest backer, the United States, rises among desolated Arab communities.\nAs long as there is no peace in the Middle East, it will be a breeding ground for hate-mongers and anarchists such as bin Laden.\nGrowing up in any slum in the world is hard, but in the West Bank and Gaza, there is a strange type of violence. A violence of one of the world's best-trained armies against stone-throwing youth.\nThe only crime committed by the stone-throwing youth is being born on land someone else wants.\nThe volatility in the Middle East, especially in Palestine, is fuel for the fire of terrorism.\nI am not saying that some policy of the Israeli government is the reason why New York has a new skyline. What I am saying is that the American support for a brute Israeli government makes the United States a target for those that have only known violence in their life and want the rest of humanity to share their pain.\nIf the war on terror is to be won, the escalating violence between Palestine and Israel has to stop.\nWhen a war is fought, everyone says they are searching for a peaceful and lasting solution. May I suggest the way to this peace and solution is moving forward in the Mideast peace process and bringing everyone involved to an understanding.