Team looks for Big Ten revenge

With the most difficult stretches behind it, the women's tennis team hopes to get back on the winning track this weekend as it plays host to two Big Ten opponents.\nIU (11-7, 2-2 Big Ten) has revenge on its mind in the opener against Minnesota 10 a.m. Saturday, and then hopes to continue its dominance against Wisconsin 11 a.m. Sunday.\n"This weekend is going to come down to who is the most consistent team," coach Lin Loring said. "They are definitely matches we could win if we play well."\nIU is coming off a hard-fought 6-1 loss to seventh-ranked Notre Dame last Wednesday, which interrupted a four match winning streak. \nWith the regular season winding down, Big Ten teams occupy the remaining six slots of IU's schedule. IU has already played the two preseason Big Ten favorites, falling to both Northwestern and Illinois. The Hoosiers have had limited Big Ten success at home this season, beating Iowa in their only other home conference match.\n"It's going to be great playing at home this weekend against Big Ten teams," freshman Linda Tran said. "Every match we are playing better and better."\nThe Gophers (13-3, 2-2 Big Ten) defeated IU last year 5-2, in a match where several Hoosiers were missing from the lineup. This year's Minnesota squad is riding a six-match winning streak, and is led by the talents of freshman Valerie Vladea.\nWisconsin (6-10, 1-3 Big Ten) comes in struggling after a 6-1 loss to 15th-ranked Baylor. Lone senior April Gabler has led the team through a turbulent season playing in both the No. 1 slots, singles and doubles. The Badgers opened the Big Ten season with three consecutive losses.\n"Wisconsin has been up and down all year, so that kind of scares me," Loring said. "You never know what team is going to show up to play."\nOne of only two seniors on the IU roster, Jennifer Hsia said she is looking forward to this weekend.\n"This is a good time for us to play Minnesota and Wisconsin," Hsia said. " We also want revenge over the Minnesota loss last season."\nThe strength of the Hoosiers seems to be their doubles. Tran and junior Karie Schlukebir improved to 3-0 as a pair this season with a victory at the No. 2 doubles position against Notre Dame. \nLoring praised the No. 3 doubles team of junior Amanda Field and Hsia as playing their best tennis of the year against the Irish.\nField has also been consistent this year at the No. 2 singles spot. She outscored her first two opponents by a combined 24-1 this spring. Despite a two-set loss to Notre Dame, Field still leads the team with a 12-6 individual record.