Syracuse slips past Butler in overtime

SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- Preston Shumpert scored six of his 36 points in overtime to lead Syracuse past Butler 66-65 Monday night in the second round of the NIT.\nSyracuse (22-11) held Butler without a field goal in the extra period and advanced to play Richmond on Wednesday night. Richmond beat Minnesota 67-66.\nSyracuse and Butler were tied at 58 after regulation.\nJames Thues scored as the shot-clock buzzer sounded to give Syracuse a 63-60 lead in the extra period. Thomas Jackson had what appeared to be an easy breakaway basket for Butler (26-6), but he slipped as he neared the basket and never got a shot off.\nThen Shumpert, who had converted a three-point play to get Syracuse going in the extra period, hit a 3-pointer from the right corner to give the Orangemen a six-point lead.\nJackson hit three free throws with 39.5 seconds left after being fouled by Hakim Warrick on a 3-point attempt for Butler's final points.\nThe Bulldogs, who thought they deserved an at-large bid for the NCAA tournament, had a chance to win after Shumpert, a career 80 percent foul shooter, missed two from the line with 5.4 seconds left. But Rylan Hainje missed a layup at the final horn off a feed from Jackson.\nThe officials ruled the shot was too late and would not have counted had it gone in.\nBrandon Miller hit five 3-pointers to lead Butler with 15 points, while Jackson had 13. Hainje, the team's leading scorer, had only eight points, half his season average.\nDeShaun Williams had 14 points for the Orangemen, and Shumpert's performance set a Syracuse mark for most points in an NIT game, eclipsing Dave Bing's 31 points in 1964 against New York University.\nSyracuse rallied from a 13-point first-half deficit, its biggest comeback of the season. Shumpert's baseline jumper tied the game 43-all with 11:41 left.\nThe Bulldogs threatened to run away with the game, going 7-for-15 on 3-pointers in the first half. Darnell Archey's fastbreak 3-pointer with 81/2 minutes left in the half started Butler on a 15-6 spurt. A 3-pointer by Mike Monserez and a pullup jumper by Jackson gave the Bulldogs their biggest lead, 35-22 with 3:29 left.