Spirit of Sport returns

Rec Sports host 26th annual benefit for Indiana's Special Olympians

For the 26th year, the Division of Recreational Sports is hosting a sports "all-nighter" in an effort to benefit the Special Olympians of Indiana Feb. 8-9 from 5 p.m. to 3 a.m. \nHeld at the School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation, Spirit of Sport was designed as a charity function to get IU students, staff and faculty involved in recreational sports, while raising money and awareness for those athletes representing the state in the Special Olympics. The event was contrived in 1976 and has raised over $277,000, with the most successful year coming in 2001, raising over $15,000. \nRian Branning, Vice President of Finance, said in a press release that reaching past last year's total is a possibility. \n"It looks like we are going to achieve our goal of $20,000 this year, because we have a lot of great people helping out," Branning said.\nWhile most of the money is generated from contributions from business sponsors, volunteers contribute to the fundraising events. Many of the sponsorships and volunteers help raise a much needed recognition for Special Olympics.\n"Spirit of Sport has raised awareness over the need to fund Special Olympics through various fundraising activities over the years," Spirit of Sports coordinator, Chris Geary said in the release. "These events have helped by making Indiana University students aware of Spirit of Sport, while also getting them involved in efforts to fund Special Olympics."\nSome of the SOS events include basketball, soccer, volleyball, twister and floor hockey. Bloomington and Monroe County Special Olympians will make appearances as well. Underwater hockey, blind volleyball, European handball and the White Castle eating contest are new to the SOS activities. \nNot only do participants get the chance to compete against fellow Hoosiers in sport, but they also get the chance to compete for prizes. Some participants can win T-shirts, gift certificates and technology equipment. There is also a celebrity auction beginning at 9 p.m., with over 60 items, including autographed items from Muhammad Ali and John Mellencamp.\nFamilies can also get involved in SOS with Family Night Feb. 8 from 5-7 p.m. Family Night will feature over 20 activities ranging from face painting to a performance by the African American Dance Company. \nDennis Schmidt, Executive Director for Special for Special Olympics, said nothing compares to SOS when it comes down to fundraising.\n"Spirit of Sport continues to be the longest running fundraiser for Special Olympics Indiana, and the largest student sponsored fundraisier for the state-wide organization," Schmidt said in a release.\nPresident of the SOS board, senior Brad Logar said fundraising is imperative for the Special Olympians.\n"Due to the tragedy of September 11, a majority of charitable funds have rightfully gone to New York City and the Pentagon," Logar said in a release. "Now more than ever, Special Olympics Indiana is counting on Spirit of Sport and Indiana University students"