Senior sets goals, leads team

This is the last year for senior Erin Womble on the women's cross country team, and she doesn't want the disappointment the team experienced last year. Then, the Hoosiers were on the bubble of making it to the NCAA meet. This year, Womble said she looks to head to Greenville, South Carolina, site of this year's NCAA's. She looks past last year's frustration and sees a positive. "We were on the bubble and almost there. Now we think, 'What can we do?' Everyone was let down, and we don't want that feeling again," she said.\nWomble is the only senior on this year's team, which she looks to lead. \n"It puts a little pressure on me (being the only senior), but not too much. We have a lot of juniors on the team. We have a good group." \nWithout a named captain, Womble leads her team through the simple things. \n"It's the little things like getting everyone to stretch before a run or sit-ups afterward. My personality has made me to be a leader. But I'm not overbearing."\nWomble may lead best through her efforts on the course. She improved from a 119th place at Regionals her sophomore year to 26th place last season. Womble has consistently improved her times during the last three seasons and said she is in the best shape of her life this season. \nMuch of that can be contributed to her summer workouts. Living near Lake Michigan has more advantages than just the beach and water. Many trails and hills line the area, which she said make great places to run. \n"I put in a lot of miles on those trails," Womble said. \nAnother reason for her success may be coach Judy Bogenschutz. Womble and Bogenschutz started in the program at the same time. \n"I have only gotten better since she has been here. She has done a great job of meshing us together," Womble says. \n"Erin is very determined to make it to Nationals this year," Bogenschutz said.\nWomble has high hopes for this season. Last season, Womble's best time in the 6K was 22:01, set at the Regional. This year she hopes to run a low 21:00. \nAs for the team, she said she believes they can be really good. \n"Right now, we are really motivated. As long as everybody stays motivated and keeps improving, we will be top three, no doubt."\nWomble said she believes in this team and in herself. She knows that she is going to Greenville. "My ultimate goal is that I am on that line. I want to do something in that race," she said.\nShe also looks to pull her teammates along with her. "I want everything to work. I want to place high. And I want six other girls with me"